Camas Girls Tennis: What to Expect

Charlotte Gelspie returning a serve

The Camas High School (CHS) tennis team had a stellar season last year, taking home the state championship. The past few years have seen a rise in performance from the Camas girls tennis team, but can they repeat their success from last year, this year?

“I know how hard the team has been working so far and I believe we stand a good chance at going to state and possibly winning it,” Coach Johnathon Burton said.

Girls tennis is a non-cut sport until the post season arrives, when certain members of the team will qualify for districts and state depending on the results of certain matches. There are also three tennis teams—junior varsity one, junior varsity two and varsity—that students can be a part of.

Hailey Kerker returning a serve

“I started playing tennis in kindergarten and my grandpa encouraged me to play. Tennis has been a big part of my highschool experience and my favorite memory is when I won state freshman year and ran over to hug Annie after,” junior Hailey Kerker said. ”I am super excited to travel down to Districts and State with my team!”

Kerker, who won the individual state championship last year, is having a stellar season so far. The team stands a strong chance of doing well in the postseason based on their performances so far. 

“I think Camas has a great chance at making state and winning the whole thing,” junior Taryn Kerker said.

Taryn Kerker, Hailey Kerker’s twin, is also having some fantastic matches so far this season and stands a great chance at challenging her twin for the state championship. 

Taryn Kerker serving

“I have been playing tennis since I was eight years old and I cannot wait for the post season to come as it’s always super fun! My favorite high school tennis memory is probably the team winning state last year, because we all contributed and pushed ourselves to play the best we possibly could”, Taryn Kerker said.

The next home match for all the tennis teams will happen on April 23, where they will face Mountain View High School. The team has a few more games and tournaments before district and bi-districts. Bi-districts will take place on May 15 and 16 at Boeing Tennis Center. Those who qualify will move on to state which takes place on May 23 and 24 at Kennwick.