Friendship Feature: Orrin Brown and Inka Byman

Orrin Brown (second from the left) and Inka Byman (second from the right) homecoming night, Photo Courtesy Inka Byman

Since moving to Camas, WA in seventh grade, sophomores Orrin Brown and Inka Byman have developed an admirable friendship with each other. 

Brown and Byman celebrate their performance after Anastasia on opening night, Photo Courtesy Byman

In 2020, Brown and Byman transferred to Odyssey Middle School (OMS), however, they never got the chance to meet officially until 2021, in eighth grade.

The two had decided to join the Where Everyone Belongs (WEB) program, in which eighth graders can assist and mentor new sixth graders through their first year of middle school.

“I think the first time I had an actual first impression was the web leader meeting, we both got called for a web leader conference and there was absolutely nobody there,” Brown said. 

Conversation came easily and thereafter they knew each other as acquaintances.

Throughout the rest of the year, they would hang out in gym class, design in engineering and continue to bond over WEB. Afterward, their friendship only strengthened.

After starting at Camas High School (CHS), they began working together once again, this time for the fall musical, Anastasia. Through months of bonding via preparing for the musical, Anastasia marks the starting point of Brown and Byman’s close friendship.

In 2024, the two have accomplished much more together than just the musical. They have established their own pickleball club with Byman as the club president and Brown as Chief Financial Officer. After planning to play tennis with their friends, they were surprised to find an unexpected shift in their day when another group suggested pickleball.

Brown as Lucas Beineke and Byman as Wednesday Addams in the Addams Family musical, Photo Courtesy Byman

“This other group of people wanted to play pickleball, so I invited Orrin and we were all playing pickleball and we realized how fun and awesome it is,” Byman said. 

Since then, they have formed an ever-growing community, all members of which carry the same shared passion for the sport.

Recently, the duo was cast in leading roles in the 2024 CHS musical Addams Family, with Brown starring as Lucas Beineke and Byman as Wednesday Addams. The musical was a hit and provided all of its cast and crew with unforgettable experiences. Byman felt that it was important she had worked with Orrin because it created a comfortable and familiar atmosphere to perform in.

“I think it’s great that we got to work together, it is less awkward than if it was somebody that we’re not as close with, so I am grateful for that,” Byman said.

Over the past four years, this dynamic duo has achieved much success together. It is safe to say their connection will continue to thrive and CHS can expect to see more of the two in the future.