CHS Girls Golf Tees Up Hoping to Finish as Washington State Champions

CHS varsity girls golf

Over the last few years, Camas High School (CHS) girls golf has seen major success, warranting high expectations and hopes of bringing home the state champion title in their upcoming season.

In the last few years, CHS girls golf has maintained a strong line-up that carried them to third in state last year and second in state the year prior. This season they have kept four of six members from last year’s roster, hoping to place even higher. The team aims to win state this year but has no plans to let that halt their improvement. They hope to ensure that everyone on the team is provided with ample opportunity to improve and properly play their part while maintaining a positive team atmosphere.

Jasmine Chen (11)

CHS senior and varsity leader Rachel Rerick hopes to finish off her senior year by helping the team maintain the tight-knit environment they have built, while also satisfying personal goals.

“[I want] to improve my game and possibly hit some new personal records,” Rerick said.

After nearly reaching the state champion title the last few years, girls golf plans to remain competitive at state. 

“Getting a victory [is] definitely achievable and desirable,” CHS senior and varsity leader Jacinda Lee said. “I would say our expectations [are] definitely a high finish at state.” 

CHS Girls Golf Coach Lori Thornton is very optimistic about this year’s season. 

Lori Thornton

“[It] should be pretty formidable,” Thornton said. She hopes to start the season off strong like last year but instead finish with the gold.

Their biggest rivals going into the season this year are New Port, who ended their season with a 9-0 record, and Issaquah who ended with a 7-2 record. This season, however, the girls are more prepared than ever and seem to have supreme confidence in the hours of practice that they have put in.

“I think they know they’re focused and they know what to do to be successful,” Thornton said.