Students Hope for Change in 2024-2025

This year CHS went through quite a few changes. Following the teachers’ strike earlier this year, some adjustments had to be made. For instance, conference period was cut from thirty minutes to fifteen minutes and renamed “student support time”. There were also some changes to the year’s schedule. Instead of having one early release each Wednesday per month we now have two per month. With the 2024-2025 school year just around the corner, students are hoping for some new changes. 

This past year several new clubs have been either revived or implemented. One example is the Christian Students United. 

“I feel like it would be more beneficial for the community and students would have a better chance to get more involved,” sophomore Paige Curl said. 

With the 2024-2025 school year looming, more club opportunities will likely emerge.

Something else that students hope will happen is the creation of an open campus. While the idea has been repeatedly shut down by CHS admin, students continue to persist. 

“I feel like students would like it a lot more if we were able to leave for lunch,” freshman Peityn Ruff said.

Students are also hoping for a change to Senior Projects and Boards. Every year, students, particularly juniors and seniors, yearn for the end of the Senior Project.

“It just adds a lot of stress on the seniors who are already dealing with college stresses and everything,” senior Valerie Price said.

However, despite pleas from students, the Senior Project is staying. It is a graduation requirement that, according to CHS teachers and administrators, will be helpful for students post-graduation. 

Many students wish that Cardon Field would be open again during student support. 

“Just let us have the free time to do that,” junior Asa Rich said. 

Entrance to Cardon Field

Students often hung out at the bleachers, played football, soccer, or walked around the track. However, the field closed during student support last year, except for  sports practices. 

Regarding student support time, many students would like to see it be reversed back to thirty minutes. This has been something that students have wanted all year, but it is unlikely that this will happen. There have been no talks to go back to conference period, but maybe that will change over the summer. 

While most of the changes asked by students have been being asked for years, there is always a chance that such requests could become a reality.