Camas Music Boosters Host First Spring Gala

Ethan Chessin speaking to the attendees, courtesy of Camas Music Boosters.

Saturday, April 20, Camas Music Boosters hosted their first ever spring gala, which consisted of a dinner, silent auction, performances from Camas musicians and much more. Though the event mostly catered to adults in the Camas School District, some students from Camas High School (CHS) showed up, and just like the parents, felt rather impacted by the event.

Attendees browsing the items for the sale in the auction, courtesy of Camas Music Boosters

Dana Sparling, a freshman who plays the flute in the CHS band, found the event to be inspiring. She noted how wonderful it was to see so many people in attendance.

“I really enjoyed seeing members of Camas schools and the Camas community out and supporting music,” Sparling said. “It was awesome to see the generosity of donors.”

Sparling was not the only one astounded by the amount of donations received. Ethan Chessin, the CHS Choir Director and Teacher Liaison of the Camas Music Boosters, said the goal at the night’s end was to raise $10,000. Camas Music Boosters raised triple their goal, at a whopping $30,000. 

“It’s amazing to me how whenever I have gone to a booster event, I am always nervous if people are going to be interested in it,” Chessin said. “My expectations are always greatly surpassed.”

Chessin believes people will put their money where their mouth is, which certainly reigned true at the Camas Music Boosters spring gala. Chessin and his students alike are very proud to see the passion people in Camas hold for the arts. Maddie McBride, a freshman from Discovery High School, but part of CHS’ Select Vocal Ensemble, expressed similar sentiments to those of Chessin’s when reflecting on the gala.

“The skills and community that stem from music are immeasurable,” McBride said. “Hearing that teachers in the district believe the same made me proud to live in Camas.”

Overall, the Camas Music Boosters spring gala was a positive experience for all who attended, and of course, a highly successful night in raising funds for arts programs in the Camas School District. Staff, students and families in attendance all felt proud of the donations that were raised, acclaiming the event to be rather wonderful.

The Camas community is already looking ahead to more progress within the Camas Music Boosters.

“People who love the arts in Camas often have the perspective that there isn’t enough with the arts that brings us together,” Chessin said. “We want to see more of that.”