Girls Basketball Shoots for State

Courtesy of CHS Yearbook

Last year, the Camas High School (CHS) Girls Varsity Basketball team made it all the way to the state final, only losing by seven points to Eastlake High School (EHS). After that fantastic season, the team is confident and prepared to go all the way this year. 

“Luckily, we only lost one player last year, so we can return with basically the same team,” senior Brianna Forbess said. “We all have one goal in mind, which is to win State, and coming so close to it last year really showed us our potential.”

CHS senior Addison Harris fights for the tip off in the Camas v. Union game, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

The team participated in a tournament in Washington, DC, the first weekend of December. They played skilled teams from other states and ended the tournament with a record of 1-2. Although they lost two tournament games, this experience was good for the girls’ team chemistry and overall skill. 

“[After the tournament], we all got better as players and as a team,” senior Riley Sanz said.

The experience helped them continue their success from last season until now. The team won their first three season games by over 30 points each and beat EHS by 12 points on Dec. 15. After losing to EHS last year, this win means so much more.

“The team chemistry has been stronger this year not only because of having the same end goal [winning state] but because we lost in the state championship last year together. It just made us closer as a team,” senior Addison Harris said.

CHS Senior Reagan Jamison prepares to block the shot from Union, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

The team is excited to continue the season and plans to win and return to the state championship. Although they lost two games in a pre-season tournament, they are undefeated in their season games, with a record of 4-0. This puts the team in an excellent position as they advance.

“I do think we have a good chance at winning state because everyone but one player from last year returned and [winning state] has been our main goal,” junior Sophie Buzzard said.

Practically keeping the same team that placed No. 2 in the state tournament last year, the girls have a good chance of going all the way once again. The girls already have great chemistry as a team, allowing them to focus on growing. 

“Our team has our eyes set on winning state this year. We have been working very hard, and our team is looking better than ever. As the season continues, we will only strive to be better,” Sanz said.