Staying Safe in the Digital Age While Maintaining a Prominent Online Presence

In the age of the internet developing rapidly, cybersecurity is vital. As we immerse ourselves in technology for both learning and communication, we must be able to maintain a safe and secure environment for all students. 

In order to remain protected from online threats, it is important to use caution when sharing personal information. This could include your name, address or phone number. Personal information can be shared unintentionally as well. Through the use of metadata, your location can be pinpointed from photos you have taken and posted on social media. Each photo you take has metadata, which includes the location of the image, the creation date and additional, specific information. Removing this data from your photos before posting them can help protect your privacy and security, ensuring that strangers do not have access to your location.

“All you have to do is take a screenshot of the image before you post it,” Detective Jake Carlow said. “It’s just one more step to make sure you’re safe.”

Sliding Camera Cover

Additionally, t is recommended to keep social media accounts private, rather than public. This setting allows you to prevent strangers from accessing details about your life, such as your location or daily activities. 

Keeping your passwords to yourself is also essential for maintaining the security of your accounts and personal information. By keeping them to yourself, you are able to maintain sole control of your online activities. 

Ingrid Lacatusu, a junior taking computer science, shares that, “You shouldn’t share your passwords with anyone, including friends and family. They can easily be leaked online and your personal data can be exposed,” Camas High School (CHS) junior Ingrid Lacatusu said.

Though you may be tempted to share passwords with people close to you, it is always best to keep them private. If someone were to use your accounts to engage in malicious activity, it would be very difficult to prove that you were not involved.

It is also necessary to keep yourself in check when posting something on social media. Anything you post will exist on the internet forever, and could potentially have an impact on your reputation. Future employers or colleagues could come across these posts or comments, potentially damaging your credibility and job opportunities. Your digital footprint is permanent and could have lasting consequences, so it is important to make sure that you are not posting harmful content online. 

“No matter how funny a joke might be, be careful on posting it,” CHS senior Ian Peter said. “Whether it’s a comment or an actual post on a platform, your potential employer can find it easily when you are in the process of applying for a job.”

Though the internet and technology is a valuable tool in our daily lives, it comes with its fair share of dangers. Being mindful online is crucial for personal privacy and security, as well as the safety of your future.