The Future of Women’s History and its Recognition

Women’s History Month display in the CHS library

Women’s History Month began in 1977 with a task force in California that was trying to convince school principals to comply with the recently passed Title IX (which prohibits sex-based discrimination). In a pushing effort, the group created Women’s History Week. 

In March of 1980, President Jimmy Carter declared that March 8 officially started National Women’s History Week. 

The official declaration of March as Women’s History Month was in 1987. At this point, 14 states had already declared that March was Women’s History Month; this action caused Congress to declare March as Women’s History Month nationally. 

This month is used to garner support for women around the globe and celebrate their achievements in life; large or small. 

At Camas High School (CHS), one of the clubs is creating an event to fundraise for local women’s shelters during Women’s History Month. Supporting Women Around the Globe (SWAG) is working to do its part in commemorating women and helping those in need.

“[CHS and hopefully Skyview] are putting on a joint fundraising event at Doc Harris, it’ll be a flag football game,” CHS senior and Vice President of SWAG Deeyanah Rahim said.

As of late, some have expressed worry due to the overturning of Roe v. Wade and the illegalization of IVF in Alabama and how these events will impact the future of women’s history being represented. 

“I feel like that puts us back [when there were fewer rights for women] because we just made so much progress and now it’s like they’re sending us back,” CHS sophomore Nabeeha Ahmed said. 

Others emphasize the importance of recognizing the monumental achievements that have been made since the beginning of women’s rights movements. 

“It’s important to recognize Women’s History Month to celebrate all the amazing things women do but also to remember how far we have come,” CHS English 10 and World History teacher Lindsay Peters said.

“It was only 50 years ago that women weren’t allowed to get a credit card in their name and only 60 years since workplace discrimination was banned,” Peters added.