Making Moves for the Musical: A Look Behind the Curtain at Auditions

CHS seniors Lucy Farland and Angelo Luchini in the fall musical, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

After spending over two months working on the production of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” the Camas High School (CHS) theater department is ready for a whole new challenge: “The Addams Family Musical.” 

CHS students in the fall musical, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

Since auditions finished, several Camas students eagerly awaited the release of the crew list, where they found out whether or not their varying levels of practice and dedication had paid off. 

The competition is tough since Camas is home to countless talented students, all gunning for a limited number of roles. To combat this, students utilize differing preparation methods to increase their chances of success. 

CHS junior Maddie Hall, for instance, has participated in the CHS theater department for over a year now and has a set routine in place: Listen to the music (a lot) and practice lines with friends.

“[The audition song] is the only thing I’ll listen to for days,” Hall said. 

Unlike some students, Hall’s favorite part of theater is not the shows themselves but the community they offer. Hall shared an anecdote about her introduction to the program, saying she joined on a recommendation from a friend.

CHS students act in the fall musical, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

Often, there are uncontrollable factors that can hinder one’s performance. Established CHS performer Lucy Farland, who played Hermia in “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” had a somewhat severe illness right before this season’s round of auditions, leaving her voice somewhat impaired.

“I had to be a lot more laid back and not as worried about the outcome because I knew that I had a skewed performance,” Farland said.  

Weighing in on the issue, CHS drama teacher Sean Kelly stated that “a willingness to do anything” was one of the significant factors he considered when casting the musicals.

“Some of the hardest things to get kids into is taking risks, making big bold choices and trying things they haven’t tried before,” Kelly said.

Regardless of the ultimate decisions made by casting, most CHS students are excited to see the “Addams Family Musical” after its expected premiere on Feb. 8, especially after the success of the fall musical.