Op-Ed: Battle of The Bands and Why it Should Be an Annual Event

Courtesy of Grace Sommers

Courtesy of Grace Sommers

Grace Sommers, Assistant Editor

On Friday, April 28, the first annual Battle of the Bands rocked the theater at Camas High School (CHS). Three months of planning, communicating, and coordinating the acts led to four performances and nearly 100 people in the audience. Supportive students and families turned out for the fun event, and, looking forward — it is vital someone new takes over the position next year to improve and rehost this awesome event because everyone deserves a chance to be in the spotlight.

Battle of the Bands allowed students to participate in a performance that may not usually get to do so. Most of the performance events we have at CHS are theatre, band, or choir events, with the one outlier being the Talent Show. Battle of the Bands brings singers, songwriters, drummers, bassists, and band members alike to a performance that is both collaborative and memorable. Continuing this event would be a good way to include performers who do not get the chance to perform as often in our community.

Image Courtesy Grace Sommers

But getting the word out to bands is critical. This year, we had six bands sign up. Two of them did not show up due to communication mishaps, leaving the show with only four bands. While the show still lasted about an hour, getting the word out earlier would make for a better performance. Since we already made it through the first year, people will know about Battle of the Bands more next year when a new, driven leader takes over the project.

As a performer myself, the event created a unique way to showcase a different set of skills. While there were definitely some kinks, the voting method of allowing the audience to participate gave it an “American Idol”-esque feel.

Additionally, the minimal amount of required rehearsals, just a soundcheck, and the show was good protocol, too. Although the risk of the bands showing unprepared is looming, most bands who take the liberty to sign-up are not going to want to embarrass themselves and will put in the work. Not making them come to practice gives bands the freedom to practice as much (or as little) as they want. 

All in all, the opportunity this event offers should certainly be continued and revised annually. There were a couple of problems and hiccups going into this year, but if the promotion and organization are improved, this event could be a CHS tradition that brings in big crowds for years to come.