Black History Month Feature: Carlin Washington

Courtesy of Carlin Washington.
Courtesy of Carlin Washington.

Camas High School science teacher Carlin Washington expressed what Black History Month means to him.

“Black History month to me is an opportunity to acknowledge an underrepresented culture that has had significant contributions to society.  It is a chance to celebrate with that culture and embrace the differences of another group of people.”

Washington listed some prominent figures in the Black community who inspire him.

Courtesy of Carlin Washington.

“Martin Luther King Jr. is an obvious one, but I admire his patience and determination.  His mission to put love first and peacefully pursue and contribute to bringing equality to everyone who was oppressed is admirable to say the least. Barack Obama is also a major influence to be the first black president.  It goes to show the color of our skin cannot place limits on us.”

He added, “Their trials go to show that all it takes is one person to start a change.  These people put their lives on the line for a greater good.  They had major visions/dreams and let that be the driving force of their existence.  They would not be stopped just because of a pigment in their skin.  They knew they could make a difference and they endured brutal treatment and wicked acts of evil.”

Courtesy of Shenandoah University.

Washington shared his favorite quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”