Spring Sports Update

Courtesy. The Camas post record.

As spring rolls around flowers start to bloom, and the sun comes out of its winter hibernation. Camas High School students and staff are not just excited about what the weather brings, but some are really excited about the spring sports that are approaching.  

Courtesy. The Columbian

CHS coaches shared some other their goals on this season compared to the previous one.

Varsity Baseball Coach Jake Short said,I feel like we have a roster that should compete for a league championship. Our league is very competitive and often comes down to pitching matchups so it’s anyone’s guess as to how that will play out this season.”

Short also touched on how there might be a lack of pitching for the 2019 season.

CHS Varsity Soccer Coach Dan Macaya also shared his goals for the upcoming season.

He said, “I think we have a shot at finishing as one of the top two teams in the league if we can stay healthy.”

Both coaches spoke about being able to get to the next level; through setting goals set at the beginning to develop standards. Right now, the team sits at 8-3 overall and number one in their league.

CHS student-athletes shared their predictions for the season.

CHS Sophomore Baseball Player Cangen Smith said,  “It is a whole new team this year and we can not take any steps back, we need to keep progressing and moving through maybe even more successful this year.”

Smith also touched on that the league could be even more competitive then it was last season.

CHS Soccer Player Tyler Knoeppel said, “I am really excited about this season. I believe our team will have a really successful year: I believe we can make great strides this year and maybe even win the league.”

Knoeppel also went into further detail on strategies that they will utilize against other teams which he believes will pay large dividends.

Winning is very important, especially at this level, but it is not everything. Developing players and turning them into great young men and woman is just as important.

Macaya feels that one of his biggest responsibilities as a coach is to help in the development of his players on and off the field, as athletes and people.

Short said, “I enjoy helping players developmentally and physically, bringing together a group of individuals to focus on one common goal.”

Smith said, “The culture of the team is very sound, we mostly always all agree on things and, butting heads isn’t anything we need to worry about. And I believe most of the positive attitude is reflected off of coach Short’s positive demeanor.” 

Many of the spring sports are already underway this year with track and boys’ soccer holding practices every day after school. Listen to the bulletin, go to the athletic office, or check up online to find the various game times and results for the upcoming events.