Welcoming Junior Kargbo

Students at Camas High school are lucky to be taught and supported by a large and diverse staff. This school year, 13 new people joined the Camas family. Junior Kargbo is one of these new staff members. He will be spending this year teaching American Sign Language (ASL) 1.

At the end of last school year, all three ASL teachers left the staff for many different reasons. Two new ASL teachers filled this hole in the staff. This year Kargbo’s goals are to prepare his students well for the following years of ASL study.  Being deaf, Kargbo also gives students an insight into the deaf culture he teaches.

Kargbo is enjoying his time at CHS, he explains, “the staff is very friendly and I have felt very welcome.” Along with enjoying the school Kargbo also appreciates the Camas community. “It is fantastic and beautiful out here. It is really nice to see some diversity,” he shared.

Although Kargbo is a new teacher at Camas he spent last year teaching part-time at Catholic Central and Evergreen high schools. Kargbo also attends school. After finishing at Eastern Oregon University Kargbo now attends Western Oregon University for graduate school.

In his spare time, Kargo likes to, “work out, play basketball and football and spend time with [his] children.” Even with his interest in sports when asked if he would coach or run clubs he replied with a smile, “ask me in a few years. I want to focus on getting through my first year here.”

Eleanor Ross-Macleod has Kargbo for her fourth-period class, she explained, “I really like him he is super nice. He is also a really good teacher.” Kargbo shared some words of wisdom for his students, “Live up to what you can do, have good faith, and don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it. ”