It’s Official: The Government Shutdown

It’s Official: The Government Shutdown

The United States Government has officially shutdown as of 12:00 am Saturday morning. Although the shutdown is said to last only a few hours, Congress failed to come up with a solution on immigration.

On Thursday night, the House voted to postpone the possible shutdown until February 19, but Democrats and and even a few Republicans voted against the plan, 50-49. While only holding 51 seats in the House, Republicans needed 60 votes to pass the bill.

If the government fails to come to a common decision, hundreds of thousands of federal employees will remain at home and unpaid. Military personnel will still be expected to remain on duty, however, like the others, they will not be paid. Government employees should be receiving back pay for the duration of the shutdown, but is still not guaranteed.

The government could not avoid a shutdown on the one year anniversary of Donald Trump’s presidency.

White House Press Secretary, Sarah Sanders blames Democrats for the shutdown, nicknaming it the “Schumer Shutdown.”

“Senate Democrats own the Schumer Shutdown,” she said. “Tonight, they put politics above our national security, military families, vulnerable children, and our country’s ability to serve all Americans. We will not negotiate the status of unlawful immigrants while Democrats hold our lawful citizens hostage over their reckless demands. This is the behavior of obstructionist losers, not legislators. When Democrats start paying our armed forces and first responders we will reopen negotiations on immigration reform. During this politically manufactured Schumer Shutdown, the president and his administration will fight for and protect the American people.”

The last time the government shutdown was back in 2013. During the 16 day fiasco, the Obama Administration loss nearly $2 billion dollars in government productivity.

The Trump Administration has vowed to keep the government running as much as possible during this time. Not only will national parks remain open to the public (operating with limited staff), the president has also stated that memorials in the National Square will remain open and the Environmental Protection Agency has also sufficient funds to continue operating as normal.

The shutdown began in the middle of a vote being held in the Senate that would have prevented the shutdown for at least one month. The House passed the same bill Thursday night, although it was not expected to pass when it went to the Senate, leaving the shutdown to be imavoidable.

Senator Bob Corker released a statement saying that he believes the Senate would agree to and pass a short-term budget plan. The bill would still have to make it though The House and finalized by president Donald Trump.