Adventures in Downtown Camas: Part One

Everyone knows where downtown Camas is but many may not be aware of all the gems the quaint neighborhood has to offer. So, this is the first in a series of articles that will highlight the happenings downtown, as well as the history that makes the neighborhood unique.

Image result for downtown camas
Photo Courtesy: Camas-Washougal Post-Record.

Camas was originally named La-camas and the name originated from a lily that was a staple of the Native Americans diet. Years later along with the mill, came a town and shops with it. A downtown fire broke out in 1886 and destroyed everything that was downtown Camas. Eighteen months later, the new mill was built stronger and better and so was the town.

To this day, the Liberty Theatre – Camas is one of the most well-known businesses in downtown Camas. The theater has multiple movies playing at a time, and they have newer movies and older movies, too. On Monday and Tuesday the theater has movies for four dollars a ticket from the original price of four fifty through five fifty. Many students like sophomore Alex Erickson say, “all the eighth graders at Liberty got to go down to the Liberty Theatre on the last day of school, and we were barely able to fit all the eighth-grade class in there, and the popcorn was really good.” For many people around the area, Liberty theater is one of the best date spots and a very cheap alternative to all the other movie theaters.

Image result for downtown camas liberty theater
Photo Courtesy: Just a Backpack and a Rollie.

Another well-known downtown store is Camas Antiques. This store has just about anything for anyone, with shelves full of books, cosmetics, old toys, and jewelry. Many people who live close to downtown have visited it at least once. The store is very kooky and has an eclectic type of style. Also, Camas antiques has a creative environment that can be relaxing, as well. This building is two stories, providing a variety of trinkets. If anyone is looking for something to do on a rainy day or just to go for a stroll, this is a great place to visit.  Sophomore Chloe Hoezell  says, “It is always a great hang out with friends, especially when going to downtown Camas, and I love how there is history in every item.”

It is not just the stores that draw the crowds downtown. There are seasonal events that kids and adults can enjoy together, too. For example, the tree lighting festival is coming up Friday, December 1st at 6:30pm. Other annual events include the summer Camas Harvest Festival and the Golden Ticket Event in November and December. There is even a farmer’s market that is open June 7th to October 4th, 2017. Click here for a full list of events, and have fun shopping, eating and enjoying downtown Camas!

View Comments (1)