Women’s History Month:Babe Didrikson-Zaharias

Womens History Month:Babe Didrikson-Zaharias

Babe Didrikson-Zaharias(Mildred Ella) was the most renowned American female athlete to ever go down in history. Babe was born on June 26, 1911, was raised in a large family, home to seven children and grew up in Beaumont, Texas. As an adolescent, Babe was categorized as a tomboy, played on all boys teams and earned the nickname ¨Babe¨(after Babe Ruth) after hitting five home runs in a row at the neighborhood park. Babe would soon begin making a name for herself by playing basketball and becoming an All-American. The babeś talent was finally recognized as she traveled to the 1932 Olympics and as a result won medals in the hurdles, high jump, javelin, and baseball throw(for which her world record still stands today).

Image result for babe didrikson

(Courtesy of Google)

After the Olympics, Babe decided to take up golfing. Babe won the All-American open, World Championship and is one of the most treasured players in the hall of fame. In Babe´s entire career, she only lost one tournament out of seventeen to a player named Clara Sherman. Babes career only came to a stop when she learned that she was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1953, she battled fiercely but eventually passed on September 27, 1956. She will be remembered as the greatest American female athlete in history. In 1950, she was voted the Greatest Female Athlete of the 20th century but truly, she will always be.