Procrastination Awareness Week

With only a certain amount of time during the day, it is important to do the most with it. Unfortunately, many people struggle with procrastination. According to Dictionary.com, procrastination can be described as putting off or delaying something that needs attention. During the month of March, the nation observes Procrastination Awareness week.

Most people have procrastinated at one time or another; some, more than others. Many psychologists see procrastination as an avoidance or coping mechanism. This act of putting something off usually happens when someone fears or dreads a task before them. To get rid of the negative feeling, people procrastinate; although, procrastinating only temporarily solves the prImage result for eisenhower matrixoblem.

The Eisenhower matrix is used to show the difference between procrastinators and efficient people. Procrastinators may spend most of their time in quadrants three and four to avoid the important, urgent work, taking brief detours into quadrant one when panic takes over. Efficient people spend most of their times in quadrants one and two, taking care of the most important things first.

This matrix, developed by Dwight Eisenhower, can help people become more efficient by ranking tasks on the basis of necessity. Eisenhower is famous for saying, “What is important is seldom urgent and what is urgent is seldom important.” This quote emphasizes Eisenhower’s ability to rank such tasks.

Students can apply this method to their daily assignments.  What task needs to be accomplished immediately? Is there a class that needs more attention? If a task is not completed, how will it affect the student’s grade? Answering such questions will help students identify tasks that are both important and urgent.

These skills and tips are important not only to maintain good grades but also to lower stress levels and have a happier life.

View Comments (1)