Clayton Lukens: Playing it Cool

Camas Students are constantly displaying excellence in sports, academics, and so much more. Clayton Lukens, a freshman at CHS, shows such excellence in musical theater. 

Currently, Clayton is performing in Oregon Children’s Theater’s new musical ¨Fly Guy,¨ based on the book Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold.  In this musical Lukens plays ¨Buzz,¨ a character whose best friend is a fly named ¨Fly Guy.¨ Lukens describes, ¨It’s a pretty bizarre concept, to be honest, but kids seem to love it!¨ 

While Claytonś last performance in ¨Fly Guy¨ will be February 12th, it won´t be the last time Camas students have to see him perform.  Lukens has also been cast as Lord Pinkerton in the CHS musical, Cinderella. As the spokesman for the kingdom, this role will be Claytonś 23rd production. Lukens explains, ¨I’m so excited to be

Clayton during his first musical, ¨Once Upon a Mattress.¨

doing a musical at CHS. The environment is very different from community and professional theater, it’s just such a nice tight knit group of people.¨

Lukens has been involved with theater since he was eight years old. ¨I first participated in a summer camp at a small theater group in Tennessee and absolutely loved it! Later that year I auditioned for their production of Once Upon A Mattress and got in!¨ When Clayton and his family moved to Washington he got involved with Journey Theater Arts Group in Vancouver.

Along with many others, Lukens has to balance school work and his extracurriculars. Although Lukens does not let the work slow him down. ¨It’s still a struggle that I have not gotten down exactly quite yet. It is a bit stressful but worth the trouble to do the show.¨

Cinderella will open on March 17th and run through the 25th. Come check out Clayton and the rest of the CHS cast.