Senior Feature: Jenna Harris

Jenna Harris with some of her senior swim teammates

Jenna Harris, is a homegrown Papermaker powerhouse. Harris has been in Camas since elementary school. Harris is not only a stellar role model, but an excellent Running Start student and one of the 2023-2024 girls swim captains. Jenna will graduate with her Associates degree.

Jenna Harris

“Jenna is very kind and encouraging both as a swimmer and a friend. In every conversation with her, she motivates me to keep going,” junior Shalaka Deshpande said. “My favorite memory with Jenna was getting to room with her for two nights when we went to Districts. I learned a lot about her and had fun with her.”

Due to Harris being a Running Start student, her senior project was different. All Harris needed to do was complete volunteer hours, which she did at her church’s coffee bar. This experience was not just about fulfilling a requirement, but about gaining valuable skills for her future. Harris plans on attending the University of Idaho in the fall, where she will major in environmental science, a testament to her ambition and drive.

“My favorite thing about Jenna is her unhinged humor and that Jenna can be a party animal and hype man, but she can also be calm, comforting, and supportive. Whatever friend you need, she’ll be,” sophomore Shelby Baldwin said. “My favorite memory of Jenna is probably sharing a hotel room with her for districts. I will always cherish the things shared in that room.”

Harris cheering on her teammates at a swim meet

“My advice for high schoolers is to push yourself to do things that make you uncomfortable, like participating in school events or taking hard classes, because often time you are capable of more than you think,” Harris said. “I think it can be better to have learned something from a bad experience than regret not doing something.”

“Jenna has so many good qualities. She is consistent, encouraging, reliable, and a good leader. But what sets her apart is her ability to include new swimmers, support people on good and bad days, and cheer for every member of the team. Jenna was always there to help out the coaches and her teammates. She is an amazing leader and sets a great example for everyone,” girls swim coach Kelly Dean said.

“Jenna was a leader from the first time I met her; she was very encouraging and helpful to me, and even now, she is still very much a strong person that I look up to,” junior Issie Dean said, “ She puts in lots of effort to make sure others were acknowledged, and she would always cheer the loudest at swim.”