Athletic Spotlight: Carson Osmus

Carson Osmus (74)

Camas High School (CHS) is known for its highly successful football program. One of the many standout athletes within the program is senior Carson Osmus. After high school, Osmus will continue his academic and athletic career at Washington State University (WSU). With every athlete the recruiting process can be stressful, and long. Osmus’ recruitment journey was not much different. Osmus committed to WSU in June of 2023, but his journey to commit was not easy. 

Photo Courtesy Osmus

“My recruitment was very stressful, fun, and eye-opening,” Osmus said. “Taking visits and receiving offers and graphics from schools was very fun, but those came with multiple phone calls a day, constant comparison of others, and the nasty side of the recruiting process.”

Recruiting websites rank athletes based on relationships and offers which can often leave players like Osmus a diamond in the rough, at least in the beginning. Osmus received his first three offers in March of 2023 and committed in June of 2023. Although a player can be committed it does not mean other schools cannot talk to the player. Osmus also received an offer from Oregon State University (OSU).

“While I will always be an OSU fan, the better place for me to be in my football career right now is Washington State,” Osmus said.  

One question most young athletes have is how to know what college is the best fit for them. 

“I chose WSU because of the staff and my plan. College coaches leave for new jobs all the time, it’s a part of the job. But you can tell a lot about a university by the character of the staff,” Osmus said. 

Photo Courtesy Osmus

As CHS approaches the school year’s end, athletes like Osmus are preparing for the next steps in their journey. For most all fall sports colleges start summer training shortly after seniors in high school graduate.

“I’m pumped! All I do now is train and workout so I’m excited to get to work out there. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous though,” Osmus said. College football especially is known for its intense summer workouts. Most refer to the most rigorous training week as ‘hell week’.” 

“College summer workouts are notorious for trying to physically and mentally break you, and WSU is no exception. But everyone has gone through it and once you do you know you’ll be ready for fall camp.”Osmus said.