CHS Boys Soccer Heads To State for the First Time in 4A Division

Luke+Jones+%2812%29+cuts+outside+to+avoid+a+Mount+Rainier+defender%2C+Photo+Courtesy+Brian+Gage+
Luke Jones (12) cuts outside to avoid a Mount Rainier defender, Photo Courtesy Brian Gage

The Camas High School (CHS) boys soccer team is having a remarkable season. After losing to their rivals Union High School (16-4) early in the season, they won their next 14 games and currently have a record of 18-1-2. The team plays great together and is led by an extremely talented senior class; senior team captains Luke Jones, Shiven Friedeman and Owen Tuttle are a major reason for this.

Shiven Friedeman (12) controls the ball around a Union defender, Photo Courtesy Brian Gage

“Being the captain of the soccer team is an aspect of my life that is incredibly important to me,” Jones said, “as an underclassman on the team I remember looking up to the captains as leaders and mentors, and I strive to be a similar role model for my teammates.”

Both Jones and Friedeman were junior captains last year. This experience has helped them to be better leaders and role models for their teammates. One way that Jones helps his team is through penalty kicks. So far this year, he has scored seven goals out of the seven penalty kicks he has taken. This makes him the third-highest goal-scorer on the team. He has also helped tutor other athletes including a few soccer players to help them play the game they love. 

“I’ve learned that being a good teammate means putting the needs of my guys before myself,” Jones said.

Friedeman works hard on and off the field. He is a vital member of the team as both a winger and outside back. Even after getting a concussion while at a game in Olympia, Friedeman continued to help the team by assuming a coaching role until he could return to his position on the field. 

Owen Tuttle (12) sends a long ball up the field to his forwards against Union, Photo Courtesy Brian Gage

“Being on the team and really the program has taught me a sense of brotherhood,” Friedeman said, “We have been spending hours together every day since November, creating bonds I otherwise wouldn’t have.”

As a center-back, Tuttle is a key element of the team. He is a dominant force protecting the goal and has helped the team keep nine clean sheets throughout the season. Tuttle played soccer for CHS in both his freshman and sophomore years, but during his junior year, he went to Germany to play a year of soccer there. This helped to tone his craft and improve his abilities to come back and play his senior season at Camas.

“I help the team as a captain because I bring experience and maturity to the team that helps our other players succeed,” Tuttle said.

On Saturday, May 18, the CHS boys soccer team beat Chiawana High School (19-3) in the quarterfinals of the state tournament. This is the first time Camas boys soccer has made it to the semifinals for state in the 4A division. Next weekend on May 24 and 25, the team will continue their run in the state tournament and fight for a championship.