Creating Connections Where it Matters Most

Starting fresh in high school can provide a lot of opportunities for social growth. In some cases, however, it can create a gateway for mistakes; mistakes that students can learn and gain new experience from.

The Camas High School (CHS) graduating class of 2025 had it rough their freshman year. Covid precautions were still in place and classes were taken online. Students were unable to connect with their peers in person which created a social drift.

Though there was much to dread, some students found ways to make light of the situation and fight back at the communication restraints.

“We still found ways to make a community, we had a bunch of group chats for all of our classes, and we’d have a lot of fun in those,” senior Sofia Wade said.

It was not until sophomore year that Wade found her place at CHS and was able to make new friends.

However, current sophomores had a different experience being the first class with a “normal” freshman year since quarantine. School events were one of the highlights that the former freshmen got to enjoy, and some favorite memories were made on campus.

“Freshman year was pretty sick with all the football games, homecoming and DECA activities,” sophomore Adrian Weisman said.

The sophomores were fully exposed to CHS’s school spirit with the social events canceled for the seniors their freshman year.

Maintaining grades can be important for high school students, especially since, in many cases, the first year can either make or break their grade point average. Because of this, upperclassmen advise current underclassmen to put their best foot forward academically.

Comparatively, the freshmen this year have been able to create new friendships with ease.

“I felt like I was able to expand my friend groups and find certain people that I think could blend well with me for the rest of my high school career,” freshman Rose Crawford said.

The fall season is the most exciting for students with events like homecoming and football games to start the new school year. Freshmen are welcomed with the enthusiastic and prideful student body CHS offers.

Starting high school with such a big community can be nerve-racking for some, but it is important to understand that you are not alone.

“Just relax and know that everyone else is a freshman too and that it’s okay to be worried, you just need to take your classes and find your people,” Crawford said.

It can be helpful to hear others’ stories about their high school experiences and receive advice when incoming students feel like they need it. Getting out of your comfort zone and making an effort to create new connections is something that the seniors did not get a chance to do, so utilize the advantages and make your year an unforgettable experience.

“Meet new people from the get-go, you are coming to this really big place and it can be scary, but if you just get out there and meet new people you’ll find your group,” Wade said.