Two Camas High School Juniors’ Blooming Business

All Photos Courtesy Salami Mcconneha

It is widely known that nail prices can be a bit expensive in salons, but Camas High School (CHS) juniors Salami Mcconneha and Sabeen Mirza have gone against the grain by creating their own nail business. The two students run their business through social media and word of mouth around their friends. 

They were interested in both creating and doing nails at the same time and thus, their families encouraged them to create their own business by making and selling nails. 

They began by practicing on each other; eventually, it became something that they both enjoyed to the degree that they began to work toward making a profit off of their work. 

The inspiration that they get for their designs differs from client to client. Additionally, there are different kinds of nails. For example, the process of making press-ons is different from that of creating gel extensions. 

“[For press-ons] I like to lay out my colors and sculpt on top and add different textures [to the fake nail] to create a cohesive look,” Mcconneha said.

They both realize that it is important to figure out what people like to turn a profit on something like nail art. 

“The inspiration we use is from trending styles, so if there’s one thing that’s popular and we want to learn how to do it then we use the inspiration to practice it,” Mirza said. 

Students who have had their nails done by the duo have said it to be a personal experience that they particularly enjoy.

“It is definitely more personal because it’s easier to talk to them and to ask for specific things, but they also maintain a level of professionalism and do not get distracted,” CHS junior Hailey Skusa said.

Most importantly, the friendly environment allows their clients to feel comfortable during the process. Mcconneha and Mirza explained that this is highly important in maintaining a good business to which people will return.

Running a small business attracts clients who feel that it is important to support them. Especially when the standard of work is at Mcconneha and Mirza’s. 

“[I prefer their nails] not only because the press-ons are so customizable but because it’s also a local business and supporting talent like that [is important to me]” CHS junior Finn Piller said.

Their clients speak highly of their business and appreciate the amount of time that Mcconneha and Mirza put into each set of nails. 

“I prefer getting my nails done by Sabeen more than anything. I have [no prior experience going to a salon] but by the time she’s done the nails are perfect,” CHS senior Jayden Thein said.

Additionally, the prices they charge for their nails is generally affordable, usually ranging between $15-$40 depending on a few factors such as work time and the products used. 

Mcconneha and Mirza make their clients feel at home and comfortably do a fantastic job when it comes to curating these nails and making them feel confident in their nails which is highly impressive for two high school students.