Experiencing Unconventional Clubs at CHS

Members of The Aaja Nachle Indian Dancing Club in Their Outfits at a Festival, Photo Courtesy Hrithi Reshi Sivalinki

Joining a club is a great way for students to get involved in their community, as well as meet new people with similar interests. Camas High School (CHS) boasts a large variety of clubs. There are a plethora of more traditional clubs at CHS like the National Honor Society, Red Cross Club and Key Club. However, there is also a variety of unusual clubs at CHS, including Aaja Nachle Indian Dancing, Asian Culture Food Club, Pickleball Club and TableTop Games Club.

“It is important for students to be able to create clubs that match their interests like this one does for the students involved,” Les Albert, advisor to the Aaja Nachle Indian Dancing Club said.

Cultural Memorabilia Significant to the Asian Culture Food Club

The Aaja Nachle Indian Dancing Club is a club where the students involved teach each other different styles and types of Indian Cultural dances. The club participated in the talent show last year and demonstrated their dance skills at the end-of-year assembly. Apart from teaching the different dances, members of this club also get to explore the relevance of these dances in Indian culture and their respective traditions.

“I joined this club and helped found it because I wanted to share my culture with others. This club explores the Indian culture through the different [styles] of dance [that] we learn,” Hrithi Reshi Sivalinki, president of the club said.

The TableTop Games Club is a club for anyone interested in Rubix cubing, chess and an abundance of other tabletop games. The club has practice sessions for students who compete in Rubix Cube or chess competitions. Additionally, the once-independent Dungeons and Dragons club has merged with the TableTop Games club. Members of the club can bring any games they want and have a chance to play them with friends.

“I wanted to lead the club in gaining new members and spread the joy that playing games provides. I really enjoy interacting with our members and the diverse perspectives and rules they bring,” Alex McNutt, president of the club said.

Pickleball Club meets in the gym on early release days during lunch to play pickleball. This club was founded this school year and provides students an opportunity to stay active and connect with other members of the community who also enjoy playing pickleball. Pickleball is also the official sport of Washington state.

Pickleball Club’s Promotional Poster

“My favorite part about Pickleball club is getting to play together with friends and create new memories. This club has positively impacted my life because it has helped me meet new people who also have an interest in pickleball,” Kennedy Phelan, a sophomore at CHS said.

The Asian Culture Food Club is a chance for students to learn more about different Asian cultures and taste unique cuisines. The club partners with local restaurants, allowing support to small businesses in Camas and Vancouver! Members of this club are also allowed to meet these local business owners and learn about their journey in opening up their stores and showcasing their culture.

“My favorite part about being a part of this club is being able to see people of underrepresented communities get a sense of portrayal in the school. While I initially joined this club because I got really good food every month, I learned more about Asian Culture in Camas,” Deeyanah Rahim, president of this club said.

While these clubs are not what you would expect to find at a high school, they all provide students with a sense of belonging. They expose students to new cultures, games, sports and people. These clubs are a great way to try something new, meet people with similar interests or just have fun at CHS.