Is the CHS English Curriculum in Need of an Update?

CHS students study hard, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

English is one of the most spoken languages in the world and is a massive fixture of American culture. It has also molded literature, which has given some fantastic classics such as “The Great Gatsby,” “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “The Catcher in the Rye” and so many more that have significantly impacted American society. 

Required reading from the CHS English curriculum

Once students enter the world past elementary school, they must take a class every year to learn more about a language and literature they have known and used their whole lives. However, as society evolves, commonly spoken language also changes alongside it. 

There has been a question among students about whether the current English curriculum at Camas High School (CHS) should be updated. Whether the school should change certain books that must be read in class or change the approach, students wonder about the relevance and necessity of learning such material.

Throughout high school, students are required to read numerous books in different grades: “Hamlet” for freshmen, “Macbeth” for sophomores, and “The Crucible” for juniors. These books and various others provide different perspectives on different topics. However, some students prefer to see more diversity in the curriculum.

I think the reading curriculum should have some alterations done to be more inclusive to what is going on in our generalized society,” CHS senior Izabelle Nelson said. “Of course, [students should read] ‘the greats’ like Shakespeare and others. However, also including authors that are women or people of color to have inclusion and representation to our society [would be beneficial to students].”

Students work hard in their classes, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

The state decides the English curriculum and books chosen to read. As long as English teachers follow a list of requirements, they can pick whatever books their students can read in class. 

There has also been a change among the students compared to past years due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“Students just aren’t as prepared [for learning] as previous years,” CHS English teacher Tom Sawyer said. 

Some students also feel that the current curriculum has no point or benefit.

“All we’re doing is reading books and then talking about the book,” CHS senior Angelo Luchini said. “Reading books that relate to certain current events can be good if it helps us understand.”

Overall, there are many school requirements still commonly understood among students. However, the consensus among the student body is that many curricula need improving. Due to the pandemic and changing times, many think English could use a bit of update to benefit both students and teachers.