Seasonal Sports: Warming up for the Winter Weather

CHS varsity boys basketball, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

Since winter sports are underway, and the tryout process is completed, Camas High School (CHS) students shared their tips for preparing for this winter. The tryout process is tedious, requiring students to show off their skills and talent for whatever sport they choose. Luckily, most sports have a preseason, coach or student-led training, which helps the athletes get in shape for the upcoming season. 

“Preseason is what prepares you for your season, and if you’re not ready to go [then you’re not going to be able to display your best effort],” head cheer coach Brandy Reed said. 

CHS cheer, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

Reed said that in a sport like cheerleading, especially basketball cheer, the girls must be prepared and ready to go before their season starts because they have only two weeks after tryouts until they have to perform at games. 

Other sports, like basketball and wrestling, stress the importance of going to the Weight Room and continually practicing techniques to get the players into the right mindset to play to their full potential. 

“I play on different club teams and go to open gyms to make sure I’m playing and working on skills and my shooting,” senior girls varsity basketball player Brianna Forbess said.

These student-athletes must continue training independently and playing on club teams during the offseason to keep their endurance up and strengthen their skills. These sports are not only about physical aspects but also require strong mental capabilities. 

CHS varsity boys basketball take a break on the bench, courtesy of CHS Yearbook

“I thought about the matches that I had lost and how, this year, I could improve,” sophomore wrestler Avery Vega Padilla said.

The most important thing for these players is to focus on improving at their respective sports and remain ready to go back and play at the quick pace some of these sports require. 

Former head wrestling coach Cory Vombaur said that for a sport like wrestling, it is crucial to hit the Weight Room and continue to wrestle in the club even after the season ends. 

“[In club wrestling], you can get provided with the same type of instruction and compete in tournaments around the country,” Vombaur said.

The preseason is an integral part of what CHS does to get its students completely ready to participate in their sports, and it is recommended for all student-athletes to continue training and immersing themselves in their sport before returning to the high school season.