CHS Choir Director Ethan Chessin Named an “Outstanding Music Educator” by the CMA

Chessin celebrates with his wife, Susannah Reece, after winning the CMA award, courtesy of Natalie Wilson

In February of 2023, Ethan Chessin, the choir director at Camas High School (CHS), applied for an award through the Country Music Association (CMA), specifically for outstanding music teachers in the United States. A couple of months later, Chessin received notice that he won the award and would fly down to Nashville, TN, for a giant award banquet hosted by the CMA Foundation, which celebrates and advocates for robust and innovative music education.

This award which Chessin won is very select. The CMA gives out 30 awards to music teachers of excellence: ten to those in the metro area of Nashville, ten to those in the greater state of TN, and the remaining ten to music teachers outside TN. Having won such a competitive, select award, Chessin felt very honored and grateful.

Chessin leads CHS’s Select Vocal Ensemble through warm-ups

Regarding his “why” for applying to this award, Chessin focused on seeking funds for the CHS choir’s upcoming spring tour to New York City with Alicia Jo Rabins, whom the department is collaborating with this school year.

“I didn’t want it to be about me; I wanted it to be about our program,” Chessin said.

Chessin’s goal was, and still is, to find associations and organizations that can help publicize the CHS choir department, allowing connections to flourish. Chessin wanted to “widen the plane field” and believed the CMA would support that goal of Chessin’s. The CMA thoroughly impressed him with how they all-encompassingly recognize musicians, including music educators.

“I felt I didn’t belong there, but the CMA read my application well. I had confidence that they had confidence in me,” Chessin said, “They wanted me to share the word about what I’m doing. I’m grateful for the opportunity to see my work and projects in that light.”

In the same way the CMA sees Chessin and his brilliance, so do his students. Bianca Flores, a senior at CHS, noted how truly seen she feels by Chessin. His ability to push Flores outside her comfort zone has encouraged her.

“He always has a positive outlook on things. It’s so important to have someone like that in your life,” Flores said.

Angelo Luchini, another CHS senior, painted Chessin in a similar light.

Chessin at the CMA award banquet, courtesy of Natalie Wilson

“Choir doesn’t just feel like a class, but a family. Chessin really cares about each and every one of his students,” Luchini said.

The kind of inspiration felt by Chessin’s students is what Chessin attributes to his success.

“Every student I’ve ever had has brought me here. I love what I get to learn from them,” Chessin said.

Chessin is incredibly thankful for the CMA and them bringing him to Nashville this fall. Still, above all else, he thanks them for their deeply rooted care in music education, which leaps across state borders, reaching the hearts of music educators and their students.