Amee Ward’s Legacy

Amee Wards Legacy

Tatum Stroh, Assistant Editor

On Jan. 7, 2023, Camas High School (CHS) lost an invaluable teacher, friend, and person. Amanda “Amee” Ward was a Special Education teacher at CHS for eight years who passed away from cancer. She will be remembered by her coworkers and her students whose lives were immeasurably improved under the program she curated. 

Ward is remembered by many of her fellow staff members and friends who describe her personality as one of passion and light. Administrator Darci Jones began working with Ward in 2018 and recalls her advocacy and vision for the special education program. 

“She was very dedicated and it was very easy to see how passionate she was about wanting what was best for the kids,” said Jones.

Ward was one of the first teachers back after Covid, long before most classes were being held in person again. Additionally, she allowed the CHS special ed program to thrive and for growth to occur immensely.

“She fought so hard for her students her entire time here, so we have her to thank for a lot of our unified classes, ” said Jones.

Ward’s aim was always to make sure that her students had an authentic high school experience and for her students to never feel that they were unable to participate.

“She made sure the students in her program felt included in every aspect of the school’s culture,” said Jones.

Rebecca Shaw, a fellow special education teacher, worked alongside Ward for six years.

“She was the kid whisperer,” said Shaw.

Amongst her peers, this is a common remark made about Ward. Her passion and talent for her job were something that never went unnoticed as well as the time she put into her program and effort put forth. 

“She made it so any kid who enters the classroom is set up for success,” said Shaw. “There is not one place you can go in this room and not see Amee.”

Jeannie McCracken is another special ed teacher who also worked alongside Ward for six years. Like most of Ward’s work associates, they quickly grew to be friends.

“She became my everyday, everything, person,” said McCracken.

Ward’s ambition and motivation will always be remembered by everyone.

“She was the foundation of everything that happens in this program,” said McCracken said. “Her generosity was endless, she gave all of herself to these students and to this program.”

Ward’s legacy is an important one to remember as her love for, and dedication to, her job and her students left a tremendous impact on countless lives. The imprint she left on CHS students, staff, and the school as a whole is very evident, and the hole left in her place will not easily be filled. Shaw, along with many who knew Ward, agree.

“We will never be able to replace her, we can only hold on to everything she started and go forward with it,” said Shaw.