Club Feature: Japanese Culture Club

Photo Courtesy Leona MacGregor

Olivia Bray, Staff Writer

The Japanese Culture Club is working to bring Japanese culture to Camas High School (CHS).

The Japanese Culture Club allows students at CHS to come together and learn about Japanese culture. We try Japanese food, watch movies/shows, and learn about holidays,” said senior Leona MacGregor, president of the Japanese Culture Club.

The Japanese Culture Club explores different aspects of Japanese culture each week. 

Photo Courtesy Leona MacGregor

“It’s a club that expresses a small part of Japanese culture every other week, which can range from Kahoots to anime to food. As part of a Japanese holiday, I wore a demon mask and people threw dried edamame at me. That was an experience, but [it was] fun,” said junior Cooper Johnson.

“Most days in the Japanese Culture Club, we began our meeting with some short Japanese trivia.  I loved learning about Japan and competing with my friends through this,” said freshman Florence Liang. 

“I always bring snacks or foods for members to try and we do an activity like a game or watch a show. We usually end the meeting with a Kahoot about Japan, relating to what the club was talking about that day. The winner receives a prize,” said MacGregor. 

“It has informed me of some of the culture of Japan that I would have never learned about if I didn’t go there,” said Johnson.

Many students enjoy the Japanese snacks brought by the club president (MacGregor) and advisor (Mrs. Lovre).

“Being able to experience different foods than what I have at home is one of my favorite things,” said Johnson. 

Like most clubs, the Japanese Culture Club is a place many students can connect with each other.

“My favorite part (of the club) is being able to connect with students who also appreciate learning more about Japan,” said MacGregor.

“Japanese Culture Club has allowed me to find a space where I can share my interests and learn more about Japan… The Japanese Culture Club is a cozy place where people can learn about Japanese Culture and share their favorite aspects of Japan,” said Liang.

The club is described as “fun and inclusive” by senior Anush Ilavasan.

This club is open to anyone who has an interest in the amazing culture of Japan,” said Macgregor. 

The Japanese Culture Club meets every other Thursday in room 807, with the club advisor being Mrs. Lovre, the school’s Japanese language teacher. Updates on meeting times and events can be found on their Instagram page, @camasjapaneseclub.

Photo Courtesy Leona MacGregor