Girls Basketball Makes History Placing 2nd in State

Image Courtesy: Brian Gage

Image Courtesy: Brian Gage

This year, the Camas High School (CHS) Girls Varsity Basketball team placed second in the WIAA 4A State Tournament, making history in the process. With their second place finish, the Papermakers accomplished the highest finish of any other CHS Girls Basketball team before them. 

Last Saturday, the CHS Girls Varsity Basketball team was able to make it to the State Championship game in the Tacoma Dome where they fell short to Eastlake High School Wolves by a score of 41-48, placing second in the state tournament. The game came down to the last couple plays, with the Papermakers coming back many times throughout the game to keep it within a few scores. 

This is the second time that CHS has played against Eastlake High School (EHS) this year. Earlier this year, the girls played at EHS and the Papermakers were able to comfortably beat the Wolves 64-52. This just goes to show how the atmosphere at the Tacoma Dome can influence games. “As soon as you step into the dome, all the rankings that they gave to you go out the window. All the past games out the window. These are the best players in the state, the best teams in the state,” Junior Addison Harris said. 

While this year was disappointing for the Papermakers, they have a young core that they will be able to build on in years to come.

The Papermakers will see all five players on their starting lineup this season come back next year, only losing one senior. “Last year we got 4th, and this year we got 2nd, so we are just hoping next year to get 1st and make history again,” junior Parker Mairs said. 

This season has also held some impressive moments from the Papermakers. The girls basketball team was undefeated in league play, beating their cross town rivals Union High School twice by double digits in both games.

Image Courtesy: Brian Gage

They also played a great game against one of the most well known basketball teams in the nation; Sierra Canyon. In this game, the Papermakers lost by only five points to the basketball giant.

“My favorite moment so far this season has been playing in the Sierra Canyon game. In that game, we learned that we have the ability to compete with anyone in the nation. Not to mention, the team dinner we had afterward. The entire experience was an incredible opportunity to bond as a team,” Harris said.