Teacher Feature: Gina Mariotti-Shapard

Daisy Gooch, Assistant Editor

Camas High School (CHS) teacher Gina Mariotti-Shapard has taught for 30 years, spending over half that time within CHS walls. She has taught various subjects such as French, English, ceramics, and photography. 

Beginning in 2014, Mariotti-Shapard founded the Integrated Arts and Academics (IAA) program at CHS. She was its program leader until 2020. This program that students could apply for offered a greater focus on the arts, combining different aspects for multiple periods in the day.

“Along with other CHS teachers, I collaborated on projects that combined visual and performing arts in academic classes, and I taught a class in the program during the 6 years,” said Mariotti-Shapard.

In 2020, the program was removed from CHS, which led to Mariotti-Shapard having to pivot what she taught. Soon after, French classes were discontinued as well.

After [IAA] and French classes ended, I started a new class called Every day Photography which is different from the Digital Photography class already offered,” said Mariotti-Shapard.

Looking at this school year, Mariotti-Shapard teaches Every day Photography 1 and 2, calligraphy 1 and 2, and everything in Art 1. She also teaches three classes through Camas Connect Academy.

However, Mariotti-Shapard’s journey to becoming a teacher was not all that straightforward. “My mom, dad, and uncle were educators, so I was determined not to be one,” said Mariotti-Shapard.

In college, she majored in art with an emphasis on graphic design and minored in French. She worked as a tour guide at Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery after graduation, but she knew that was not her calling. Mariotti-Shapard, from there, realized that what she enjoyed about it was the act of teaching.

“My dad, who was the superintendent of CSD at the time [of her career change], told me there are three things that make a great teacher; the love for a subject matter, the love for the act of teaching, and the love for those you teach. It was then that I knew my vocation choice would be to become a high school art teacher,” said Mariotti-Shapard.

After 30 years of teaching and many years of working with different art forms, Mariotti-Shapard has come up with a long list of why she loves it. 

“I  personally love the process of making art, which for me, involves a sacred connection. It’s not a craft, hobby, or recreation for me; it’s work. It’s a part of who I am,” said Mariotti-Shapard.

She also loves working with students and helping them create meaningful art, which is why teaching is her greatest joy.

“When I retire in a few years, I will have more time to devote to [art]. But, for now, my purpose is to help students make art that is meaningful to them, which is really important and gratifying,” said Mariotti-Shapard.