Mr. Chessin: Getting to Know What Keeps CHS Musical

Jasmine Edmundson, Staff Writer

This year marks Choir Director Ethan Chessin’s twelfth year teaching at Camas High School (CHS). 

Before coming to CHS, Mr. Chessin spent time as an environmental educator and worked internationally in Thailand. Chessin has also recorded music for Disney, as he played in the band for the soundtrack of “Monsters University”. 

When he was younger, his first experience in music education was with his dad’s Klezmer band which performed Eastern  European and Jewish Folk music. From that, he learned how music can make people feel connected with a part of society and culture or community.

“I realized how choir can help connect people to each other in a profound and meaningful way,” Chessin said, explaining what inspired him to teach choir. 

Mr. Chessin teaches music production and all four choirs at CHS. He went to college at Yale University for his undergraduate degree and the University of Washington for graduate school. 

Once he started teaching, Mr. Chessin found that every student who comes through the CHS doors is looking for a place to belong. 

“The reason why I give so much here is because I don’t know what I would have done if I had not found meaning and connection through music in high school, and I am eager to extend that opportunity to students here.” Mr. Chessin said. 

When asked about his strengths in teaching, Mr. Chessin said “Something I am proud of is the way that I have been able to offer students unique opportunities to connect with repertoire and music and musical context that are not typically part of the school curriculum.” 

In the last several years, CHS choirs have experienced gospel choirs, performed with local Indie artists, recorded new works, and debuted original compositions at a premier venue in Portland. 

Chessin has won many awards, including Teacher of The Year at CHS in 2021, and first place for the National Music Educator Innovator Award in 2018. CHS received a $70,000 grant from the Oregon Community Foundation for our collaboration with Luz Elena Mendoza. 

In ten years, Mr. Chessin hopes to feel more confident in knowing the place of music in the community he is in.

“Choral education has always felt a little tenuous in Camas. There is always a question of who’s going to decide if it is useful this year, and I would like to bend that expectation a little so that there is an interest in this community to want choir and music.”

Besides making music in his free time, Mr. Chessin loves to bake his specialty loaves of sourdough rye bread. 

Mr. Chessin’s influence resonates deeply with his students.

“Mr. Chessin cares deeply about the success of his students and their future, and I think the process by which he comes about that success is incredible because it is unlike any other.” said junior Sherman Bynum.