How difficult really are AP classes?

Image Courtesy: Camas School District

Sophie Holtcamp

Deciding whether or not to take Advanced Placement (AP) classes can be a very tough decision for some students. It’s a difficult decision to choose if students would rather have additional work and laborious exams to look decent to colleges, or take the trouble-free way out and stick to the basic courses. 

For some students, deciding if they wanted to take AP classes was not entirely their decision. Many students’ parents influenced their decision on taking these courses.

“I took AP World because I didn’t want my mom to yell at me,” said Camas High School (CHS) sophomore Ivey Holter.

But for some, it was a personal decision.

“I wanted colleges to see that if I took AP classes, then maybe I would get accepted to a good university,” said sophomore Rachel Hill.

Several students’ decisions were not influenced by their parents or themselves, but by their friends. Students tend to follow where their friends are going, and they might urge them to take a class together. 

But are AP classes worth it?

Yes, these classes look good on a high school transcript, that is if quality work is completed and the final exam is taken. AP classes move at a faster pace, which may not be a fit for all students. The workload can be double to triple the amount that a normal course would have. For example, in basic biology, students are only expected to spend one to two hours a week studying or completing homework, while in an AP biology class, students are expected to spend five hours a week studying. These classes take much more time and effort for students.

“It takes a little bit more time than other classes, but overall it’s very doable. The key to success is your own interest in the class,” said sophomore Mark Zharov.

When picking AP courses, students have to decide if they will even enjoy the class. Being stuck in a difficult class and being in a class a student is not even passionate about on top of that, could definitely make the year miserable. Taking AP means a student must be committed to getting the work done. If they’re typically a procrastinator, AP is not for them. 

“I think that if you have the drive to get things done, go for it,” said sophomore Kaydenn Taylor. 

Once forecasting rolls around, consider all these components that go into completing and succeeding in an AP class.