CHS School Spirit Makes a Comeback

Photo Courtesy Stephen Fewel

Stephen Fewel

On Friday, September 9, 2022, the Camas Papermakers Football team had their first home game of the season against Glacier Peak, where they fell short after a hard-fought contest between the teams. While they lost the game, the school spirit surrounding the first home football game of the season was stronger than ever. 

Photo Courtesy Stephen Fewel

“The school spirit at the football games is unmatched at Camas. Camas has the best school spirit out there,” sophomore Taylor Judd said. Camas High School (CHS) has always been known and praised for its football team and the environment of its football games.

The CHS Football home games have always been an event that everyone in the Camas community looks forward to. The home games always have full attendance, due to their great popularity. The school spirit felt in the school and local community is always boosted because of the football games. “The football game environment is very lively, everyone comes together as a community and it’s just a great time,” Judd said. 

This year, prior to the first home football game, a pre-game tailgate party was held at the Zellerbach Administration Center (ZAC) parking lot. There was a barbeque, cornhole, and even a merch stand for students and community members to enjoy. The tailgate party was a great way for the CHS community to start off the year and boost school spirit before this season’s football games. “I think the school spirit usually amps up as the season goes on, but since this is the first game, school spirit is pretty good,” Flatt said. 

“My favorite part of the football games is just hanging out with friends, being able to see my teammates at varsity play the game, and it’s just great to see it all come together,” Judd said.

Photo Courtesy Stephen Fewel

Many students like the opportunity to spend time with their friends and root their school on. Home football games have always been cherished by students at CHS, and their reputation has been passed on from the upperclassmen to the lowerclassmen each year. “I think the first football game is really living up to its name and it’s just a great time,” Flatt said.