CHS Girls Tennis Team Wins First at Districts

Photo Courtesy Avery Gardner

Joy Young

The 2022 Camas High School (CHS) Girls Tennis Team was very successful at districts, taking home overall first place. 

Photo Courtesy Hailey Kerker

The number one singles player, Hailey Kerker, dominated three matches, She first played Skyview High School, Battleground High School, and then the CHS second singles, Emma Loucks in the finals. 

Loucks defeated Fiona Zou (CHS 3rd singles) in her first match, then Union High School, but lost to H. Kerker in the finals. 

The most intensive games played during districts for CHS was by Zou. She played a total of six matches over the course of Friday and Saturday. She beat Battleground High School, but lost to Loucks in her second match. She was then moved to the consolation matches where she played Union, Skyview, Battleground, then Union again. Many of the matches were very close, which encouraged the other teammates to cheer her on. 

Kerker said, “with Fiona, we really wanted her to win and make it to Bi-districts,” Lena Trieu said. “I don’t think I have ever cheered so hard in my life.” Trieu commented that even Loucks, who is typically a “very chill player” was cheering for Zou at districts. 

Alas, Zou was able to win all of her consolation matches and advanced to Bi-districts, meaning that all three of the CHS singles players made it to Bi-Districts, with H. Kerker winning at districts. 

Photo Courtesy Lydia Lee

CHS also had one doubles pair that advanced to Bi-districts: Jace Moriki and Taryn Kerker. They played against Battleground, Skyview, and Union, and won all three matches. They also were able to win overall doubles and advance to Bi-Districts.

“Doubles was super fun, it was fun to play with Jace and we had a good time…Jace is my emotional support, otherwise I would probably collapse,” said T. Kerker jokingly. “You have to communicate with the other person and make a plan [when you are playing doubles],” added T. Kerker.

“Taryn was really focused when she played,” said Trieu.

Districts was a very impactful experience for many of the Varsity tennis players. “I decided that I want to stay on Varsity next year because I wanted to make it to districts…We all love each other, we talk, and we get along well,” said Trieu. “I really liked districts, playing, and cheering each other on as a team,” said H. Kerker.

The players all responded positively about their experience at districts, and despite winning/losing, they all agreed that it was an amazing experience.