Another Incident of Alleged Racism in CHS Sports

Blake Harris and Luke Dizon

Camas High School (CHS) is once again making headlines for another alleged incident of racism, this time with the JV baseball team.

On April 20, a JV Baseball game against Skyview erupted in chaos because Skyview players alleged some of the Camas players made racially motivated sounds and words against their team. This incident led to a now-completed third-party investigation over the game and the players involved in the incident.

This investigation yielded no consequences for Camas students, and no names have been brought forth since. While it did not bring any punishments to players, it did bring lots of attention to Camas and its community, namely the racist moments in recent history in CHS Athletics.

On December 10, 2021, fans in the Camas student section at a CHS vs. Benson High School (BHS) girls basketball game reported  Camas spectators were yelling racial slurs and mocking opposing players. That investigation resulted in no punishments for students at CHS, as well.

“Based on my team’s experience in your gym on Friday night, you have a lot more work to do around fundamental principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion,” said BHS basketball coach Eric Knox back in December.

Even after three months and a handful of advisory lessons informing students about harmful slurs and microaggressions, some say no enough has changed at CHS.

“I think it’s been pretty bad for a while. I honestly don’t think it has gotten better since the basketball incident,” said CHS freshman Finn McDonnell.

Thus far, no games against Skyview have been played due to the incident at the Skyview baseball game, and all JV games have been canceled until the situation is resolved.

Additionally, Skyview leaders canceled Camas Lacrosse’s senior night against Skyview because they did not want to play or interact with CHS athletes.

“It’s a major disappointment that our senior night is canceled. I feel like it should just affect baseball,” said CHS lacrosse player Joey Hoang.

“We are a club team and not affiliated with the school, they definitely shouldn’t have canceled the game,” said lacrosse player Jackson Rerher.

Some CHS students feel not much will change until more discipline is doled out.

“I’m okay with our school sports being shut down for the time being. It’s about time we face the consequences of what we say, and I’m hoping this will eventually lead to our school sports learning to not say racist things,” said junior Selina Zou.

“I think the fact that people wouldn’t be surprised whether or not CHS students said something racist is a bigger issue than anything else regarding the situation,” said sophomore Mia Sugimoto.

Camas is looking to repair its relationship with Skyview, although this may not be easy.

CHS Principal Tom Morris said, “We are currently planning some restorative work with Skyview and met with a person already. Our goal is to bring the teams together.”

Some speculate that even if the relationship between both schools is repaired, the damage caused by repeated actions of racism has left a serious mark on Camas’ reputation for the future.

“Camas kind [of] already has that [racist] reputation, the damage is done. I don’t claim Camas High School,” said senior Aston Kort.

“It’s ironic that this happened during our prom spirit week, I think. I personally don’t even feel like we should be remotely proud of our school at the moment. It really is such a depressing issue that I wish could be fixed as easily as just giving us lessons about microaggressions in advisory every now and then,” said junior Emma Sadewasser.

Morris and CHS Athletic Director Rory Oster said in a statement, “This is not how we want to be represented in our community, and we continue to be committed to our equity work.”

Morris added: “We want students to be proud of and kids should be proud of our school. There are a lot of great things that go on here. The list goes on and on, but there are some things we need to continue to work on, too.”

Administrators and district leaders say they will work together to continue to prioritize teaching students about racism and its effects so students and community members can in the future say racist incidents like those this year are a thing of the past.