Promoting Equality and Equity at CHS

Photo Courtesy Andrew Wade

Jaimie Choi and Neha Ravi

Camas High School (CHS) is under scrutiny for alleged racist remarks made on campus. Following these culminating issues, administrators, members of the Associated Student Body (ASB), and members of the Black Student Union (BSU) are working together to promote equity and equality at CHS and throughout the Camas School District (CSD). 

Photo Courtesy Neha Ravi

One way that the administrators are tackling the ongoing racial issues is by coordinating with the ASB to create weekly advisory lessons. The first lesson, which was conducted on Tuesday, Feb 22, explained how students can respectfully call someone out for racist behavior. However, many students had critical opinions regarding the content of these advisory lessons.

Senior Ashton Doane, in reference to an incident in 2020 in which a video of a CHS student saying the N-word on social media said, “I think it’s great that Camas is conducting activities to promote equity, but I think that administrators should put more emphasis on punishment.” 

Senior Tanner Dozier said, “I don’t think that a student who, for example, says racist things, would change their values based on these lessons and stop their racist behavior, so I think that punishment would be more effective.”

The second advisory lesson, which took place on Tuesday, March 1, focused on the history of the N-word, followed by a student reflection on who should say the N-word and who should not.

Additionally, CHS launched the “See It, Hear It, Stop It” Campaign, which emphasizes an anonymous reporting system to address harmful behavior happening on and off campus. 

“I think it’s a big step at our school to call out other students for inappropriate behavior,” Principal Tom Morris said. 

CSD is also hosting weekly equity forums, via Zoom, in which Camas community members honor Black Indigenous People of Color (BIPOC) and discuss how to improve equity within the community. However, most forum attendees consisted primarily of CSD parents and staff.

BSU Vice President Usman Manzer said, “The district is doing a good job by holding equity forums and meetings as well as staff training, but they need to publicize this to the entire community and appeal to more students.” 

The BSU’s main focus currently revolves around promoting equity and equality to the CHS student body.

BSU President Andrew Wade said, “I personally think what CHS is doing right now, such as the advisory lessons and equity forums, are great stepping stones to improve the environment of our school. Administrators could definitely do more, but what is most important is that this is followed through in the years to come and that this agenda of equity doesn’t stop here.” 

Student leaders and administrators agree it is important that CHS continues to promote equity within the school throughout the 2022 school year and well into the future, especially if they wish to see more equality within the school community.