Credit Recovery at Camas High School

Rachel Barnard

Photo Courtesy Rachel Barnard

Rachel Barnard

Many Camas High School (CHS) students find themselves in need of credit recovery after the difficult school year. The past few years students faced constantly changing adjustments for coronavirus, leaving them with missing credits and failed classes. Students can get credit recovery through the Learning Center or Summer School currently at CHS. 

Students who did not earn a needed credit are sent an application by their counselor to join summer school.

The 2021 summer school information and application form. Photo Courtesy Camas High School

The student will fill out what classes they need to take while administrators plan out the teachers, students, and budget use.

Summer school at CHS is often the first option given to students in need of credit recovery. Students who attend summer school often have one or two classes and are taught through a computer program with a teacher endorsed in that subject area. The Learning Center is also offered to students in order to gain missing credits. The Learning Center is worked into the student’s schedule and also taught through a computer program. 

Staff at CHS provide summer school as the first option because they like how it allows students to not start the following school year behind. Both programs are beneficial to credit recovery and each will work best depending on the student. 

Dean of Students, Darci Jones said, “The nice thing about summer school is that it is nice and short. The students are only there for four hours, maybe focusing on math for the entire four hours but then at the end of it, they have made up credit in only four weeks. Where the Learning Center is dragged out for a semester and they are only working one hour a day.”

Some students can premeditatedly improve their grades before they have to look into credit recovery. For example, freshman Addison Warford had two weeks to bring her math grade up to a passing grade. In the second semester of the school year, she joined the Math Lab class and worked with her teacher Ms. Siwert to raise her grade. 

She said, “I have Math Lab before my actual math class and I like that because Ms. Siwert explains everything before we do it. She helps break the math down that way I already know what I am learning in math before I go into the class… It makes me feel motivated to actually turn in my assignments because I actually know what I am doing.”

Rollman also offers a positive perspective if a student fails to pass a class. She said, “I think if the rest of your grades are good and you have one F from the first semester in your freshman year and you made it up and you showed that you mastered the content by getting a good grade, it’s a great way to explain that highschool was really hard for you in the beginning. You had to learn the hard way and you put in the time and effort through summer school and now you can show that you understand the subject.” 

Students who need to recover their grades after a confusing school year have many options and people who are able to help at CHS. They can reach out to their teacher, counselor, and administrators to find the best choice for them to make up credits.