CHS Shuts Down Bathrooms

Photo Courtesy Rosalind Hinchliff

Rosalind Hinchliff

Upon students’ return from the weekend on Jan. 17, the Camas High School (CHS) administration welcomed in students with closed signs and caution tape blocking over half the restrooms at CHS. 

Photo Courtesy Rosalind Hinchliff

The decision to close down bathrooms came from the influx of vandalism and mistreatment of bathroom facilities. Examples include missing soap dispensers and toilet seats, paper towels littering the floor, and food clogging the toilets.

These actions spur from an internet trend called “devious licks” in which students attempt to steal miscellaneous objects from their school. Admin notes this has been an ongoing issue at CHS.

Photo Courtesy Neha Ravi

Associate Principal Owen Sanford said, “We’re not seeing students take care of student bathrooms, and it’s falling on a handful of custodians to clean up this mess.”

The administrators came together to attempt to address this issue. The proposal to shut down bathrooms came to the Student Senate and Associated Student Body (ASB). 

ASB Vice President Kaili Ziegler said, “We wanted to get the message that it is the school community’s bathroom and we all should be held accountable.”

Ziegler mentioned that another possible idea they discussed was to replace the appliances with more sturdy ones to prevent stealing. 

“Letting the student body know that you or your classmates aren’t taking care of your bathroom and we’re having to shut it down. And so you have to go find another bathroom in the meantime,” Sanford said. 

The root of this issue is coming from a few people in an entire student body, yet all of CHS feels the burn. 

Photo Courtesy Kate Gooding

Senior Lydia Lee said, “While I sympathize with the administration who has to deal with this problem, having so many bathrooms shut down is beyond inconvenient for students. I don’t want to miss ten minutes of class because I had to walk across the school to two or three different bathrooms before finding one that was open. Accessible bathrooms are very necessary, especially at a school with as many students as ours.”

Other students also recognize the ever-growing inconvenience this decision causes. Senior Melodie Chiu observed it is cutting into her class time and learning. “I have to walk around the entire school to find someplace that is open. I don’t think it’s worth it to miss that much class,” Chiu said. 

Chiu believes it is “definitely not” a good idea, citing lack of class time as well as it not being effective. 

The administration realizes that this problem does not stem from the majority of students. “The vast majority are taking care of the bathroom but we have too many students, not taking care of the bathroom. We have too many students, not saying anything,” Sanford said.

The hope that the closings would encourage students to speak out when they see vandalism is misplaced. Before the bathrooms were even closed Chiu said, “I would speak out no matter what.” The bathrooms being closed down did not stir any change in Chiu’s already responsible behavior. 

Despite the difficult situation custodial staff is in, the closing of bathrooms at this rate poses potential issues.

According to State Building Code Chapter 51.50.2900 “Plumbing fixtures shall be provided in the minimum number shown in Table 2902.1” Table 2902.1 says in educational facilities there needs to be one toilet for every 35. 

Photo Courtesy Rosalind Hinchliff

The number of bathrooms opening and closing is ever-changing but as of Friday, Jan. 21 only eight bathrooms were open for student use. Each of these bathrooms contains four toilets, providing only enough for 1,120 students. CHS currently houses over 2,000 students on any given school day. At this point the closing of the bathroom inflates this rule by almost double, requiring approx 71 students per toilet instead of 35. 

The administrators will continue the bathroom policy at CHS with no plans of ending it until students start to pick up the flack of others. “My hope is that we get two thousand students to try and rise up. Not to sound cheesy, but I would try and say ‘okay, these are our bathrooms…this is ridiculous,’” Sanford said. 

Until a resolution is found, students must continue to shuffle around to find the coveted open bathroom in the wake of continuous vandalism.