From Birding to Terrarium Building: Nature Club

Courtesy of Vivienne Petracca

Courtesy of Vivienne Petracca

Shulammite Leu

Nature Club is a new addition to the plethora of clubs at Camas High School (CHS), founded at the start of the 2021-2022 school year. Though few in numbers, the club got off to a great start, with nature hikes and educational meetings every other week.

The founders of the club are sophomores Jenna Harris and Vivienne Petracca, juniors Taylor Redmond and Paige Frawley, and senior Sammi Guffey, who is the club’s president. The five of them went on a “traumatic” research trip in the Everglades of Florida, inspiring them to form Nature Club and bringing the experience to CHS, making it more available for Camas students. 

Junior and certified bird enthusiast Taylor Redmond said, “I think it’s fun to help our Camas community, in general, get to learn more about nature, not only here but just general nature, and then also getting to go outside because a lot of people don’t go outside now to go birding.”

In an effort to get students to experience the outdoors, “We do outings; we try to do one every other week and go birding,” junior Paige Frawley said.

“It’s so much more different going outside and getting involved in learning about things, and that’s why we started the club.”

Nature walks are a great way to introduce people to the different trails in Camas, get exercise, and identify local birds, amphibians, and other wildlife in the area. So far, they have been on the Lacamas Lake Trail and the Heritage Trail. 

Education is also a big focus, with topics ranging from orcas to winter birds. Bringing awareness to endangered wildlife and recognizing invasive species is also a big part of it.

Besides activities such as nature walks, the club did a somewhat successful water test and built a terrarium, which was suggested by a club member.

Additionally, the club leaders plan to take the club on a trip to OMSI, but the exact plan and details are unknown, as their deeply needed club funding hasn’t been worked out yet.

Overall, the club is all about appreciating nature and having fun while experiencing it.

“It’s a very fun club. I like the nature hikes,” junior Tenkyong Namgyal said.

The teacher supervisor, Brianna Abraham, agrees.

For those who love nature (and birds), or are interested, Redmond suggests to “just walk into Room 506 and join.” They have weekly meetings every conference period. Students can also continue their connection to nature on their Google Classroom and Instagram page. To learn more email [email protected]