Remembering Grayson Kennedy

Remembering Grayson Kennedy

Camasonian Staff

After the tragic and sudden death of Camas High School (CHS) sophomore Grayson Kennedy, the Camas community will come together to honor his life. A memorial service will be held this Sunday at 11 a.m. in the CHS Gymnasium.

Kennedy passed away in a deadly car crash on the morning of Tuesday, December 14, 2021, on his way to school.  A well-known and well-loved student and athlete at Camas High School, those who knew the 15-year-old are now keeping his memory alive.

Kennedy and his brother, junior Kameron Kennedy, were near campus when their car crashed into a neighboring home. Kameron has since been released from the hospital, but Grayson did not survive his injuries. 

News of the accident spread quickly at Camas High School Tuesday, with CHS football players, teachers, and close friends learning the student’s identity. Kennedy played football for CHS and wrestled in middle school, creating a large network of teammates and close friends, but it seems everyone who knew him was touched by his kindness.

Kennedy’s empathy and sensitivity towards others stand out most to those close to him. 

Sophomore and teammate Teagan Minnick said, “He was the nicest person you’ve ever met, just a big ball of love. He would always put everyone first instead of putting himself first. He would make sure you’re okay before he was okay.”

Sophomore Victoria McPherson feels similarly. She said, “He was more like family than a friend because he made you feel happy when you were down.” 

His dedication to football and his fellow players is commemorated by sophomore and teammate Cruz Norton, as well. “He played tough sports so he had some grit, but he never had a hurtful bone in his body. The effort he put in and the love he put in – he was a hard-working guy… he was always the loudest on the sidelines.”

His kindness extended towards everyone he knew, not just close friends and teammates. Sophomore and teammate Jared Williams said, “Every day he would open the doors for me and my girlfriend, and even when I was out sick, he would open the door for her… he was so thoughtful and was nice to everyone he met. He was the most thoughtful person I ever met. He was so giving and just all around, a genuine guy. He was one of the real people. Just real.”

CTE teacher Carlin Washington did not have Kennedy in class and, yet, felt his presence on campus every day. “He would give me a fist bump and ask how I am doing before walking to class. This is only my second year teaching at Camas and he made me feel accepted, cherished, and valued by such a simple gesture. I could feel his passion and joy daily and that inspired me. I will continue to remember how he made me feel so I can make others feel the same way,” Washington said. 

Kennedy always worked to put a smile on people’s faces and was like that from a young age. He also had a fiery spirit that meant he was up for a challenge. 

Sophomore and teammate Preston Baker remembers in fourth grade how Kennedy lightened the mood of their whole baseball team. “[Grayson] said he was going to hit a home run and everybody said he wouldn’t do it. Our coach told him if he hits a home run, he’d buy him a 36-pack of Mountain Dew. He went up to bat, first hit, home run, like 100-feet behind the field. He threw his bat, walked around the bases, and said, ‘I want my Mountain Dew tomorrow.’” 

Kennedy grew up in Camas, and many of his high school peers have known him and had classes with him for most of their lives. “He was a best friend, more like a brother. I’ve known him for ten plus years,” said sophomore Mitchell Lafayette.

Other fond memories come to mind for sophomore and classmate Tabitha Trolinger. “Every morning in class he would come in with two flavored water bottles and share them with Mitchell and Elliott. He would always try to get me to try it. He was just the nicest person with a kind smile,” she said. 

Minnick recollects Kennedy’s signature football cleats, an image of which his coach Dale Rule posted on Instagram this week. “He had these crazy cleats, and we always talked about them and made fun of him for them. He loved them so much. He refused to take them off. They were super crazy, and it shows what his personality was… he doesn’t care what people think,” Minnick said. 

Throughout the week extra counselors were called to CHS to support grieving students and staff members. 

Community members can help the Kennedy family by donating to the “Kennedy Family GoFundMe” on GoFundMe.com