Class Pets Within CHS

courtesy of CHS digital photagraphy

Thomas Hatch, staff writer

Camas High School is home to several class pets. The staff that brings in their dogs notice many benefits to their classroom setting.

One benefit is that students can pet the dog and the dog can show affection when needed. Animals can brighten spirits if a student is having a bad day.

AP US Government and English teacher Kristi Bridges said, “Some people get really nervous during tests, and they’ve asked ‘can I sit on the floor and take my test by Cooper?’”

Photo Courtesy Thomas Hatch

CHS 11th grade English teacher Susan Cassady said, “On a daily basis it is just that unconditional love that the dogs give the kids. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard a student say ‘this is the reason I come to school every day.'” 

Another pro to pets at school is the benefit that the dog gets from social experiences, like working with kids and teachers. It teaches them to be calm with a large group of people.

Bridges said, “Dogs have to have a job, they need to feel like they’re doing something. If they don’t feel like that, they will dig holes or chew things up.”

Giving pets the experience of working with kids builds the dog’s character in a beneficial way, either for working towards being a service dog or just raising a well-behaved K9.

Photo Courtesy Thomas Hatch

Despite all these benefits, there are some cons of class animals, such as the care and patients required. “Sometimes when my schedule is kind of crazy it’s just one more thing I have to deal with,” Cassady said.

Another con is class pets can cause allergies among students, although usually, it is not a big issue.

Bridges said, “At the beginning of every year I send out forms to the parents about allergies. I’ve never had a student where it came back as severe allergies.”

Cassady said, “Once to my knowledge a schedule has been changed just because a student thought that it would be okay but they turned out to be a little more sensitive to the dogs.” 

Bridges’ dog is a 9-year-old Bernese Mountain Dog. “He’s just like a big rug he just lays there and lets everyone pet him and he’s so gentle he’s not rowdy at all he’s just calm. He’s not distracting at all.”

This is Mel. Photo Courtesy of Susan Cassady

Cassady’s dogs are a one-and-a-half-year-old named Mel and a one-year-old named Delilah. 

“Delilah is more playful and excitable,” she said. “Mel is a more conservative dog who weasels her way into people’s hearts with her affection.”

These teachers notice countless benefits and an increase in enjoyment from their students when their dogs are brought into the classroom.