Sincerely, a Student: What should I do if I know how to fix my grades, but I have zero motivation to take the actions to do so?

Photo Courtesy Aleeia Davis and Maggie Lind

Sincerely, a Student

What should I do if I know how to fix my grades, but I have zero motivation to take the actions to do so?

Dear Anonymous,

Okay, despite what you’ve probably been told your entire life, grades are not the end-all-be-all of your existence and time spent in school. A bad grade doesn’t define who you are as a person. In fact, most colleges barely look at high school grades when selecting approvals. There are so many things that can cause loss of motivation that so many students struggle with every day. Personally, I’ve been there. I’m actually still there, and I know that a pandemic doesn’t exactly help. You have to figure out what it is you want out of life, and what matters most to you. It sounds a lot more difficult than it really is, I promise. I was able to find motivation by thinking of my parents, and how I don’t want them to have to pay for my college tuition. I want to get scholarships to hopefully ease the weight off their backs. Your reason could be completely different. You could have a dream job that requires a high school diploma or college degree, motivating you to work harder. You could have somewhere you want to escape and have a fresh start. Try not to beat yourself up about your report card because that’s a deep dark hole that is practically impossible to come out of. I’m aware that lots of students struggle due to pressure from parents, and that’s such a hard situation. Just know, you are not your parents. You shouldn’t have to always be exactly who they want you to be. It’s your life, so live it how you want to. That being said, if good grades matter to you, strive to get them. If they don’t, don’t stress about it because that’s human. Work for what makes you satisfied and happy, otherwise, it just becomes a burden.

Sincerely, 

A Student

Have a problem that needs solving? Fill out this form!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeJg-aJJBWuwVekxgokmbrIm-hdcyXfsYg5fZ6rgiVVXuguJw/viewform?usp=sf_link