Theater Fights for She Kills Monsters

Emily Elwell

Camas High School’s (CHS) theater department works to produce their upcoming theatrical endeavor, She Kills Monsters, yet along the way, they’ve killed some monsters of their own. From legal licensing issues to cast and crew changes, the theater department has jumped through endless hoops to dedicate November 5, 6, 12, and 13 to a fantastic show for locals to watch either in person or through a live broadcast.

Courtesy of Emily Elwell

All CHS students cope with adjustments to their clubs and activities since the pandemic started less than two years ago, but there is an added amount of stress with the production of a theater performance. Because of the Camas School District’s guidelines that require audience members to sit six feet apart when attending a school-sponsored event, those involved with She Kills Monsters were unsure of whether they could host an in-person audience that would cover the full cost of the show. 

Lead actor and senior Lil Walsh said, “I definitely prefer to do things with a live audience because I’ve done a lot of stuff that’s been live-streamed online. I feel that as theater artists, we’re always being told that we have to adapt to the situation. But I’m still glad we get to do the show and it’s not outright canceled like it was last time.” 

Later, at the last minute and through endless paperwork, director Sean Kelly gained approval from licensing agents that allowed both an in-person audience and an online broadcast for She Kills Monsters.

Courtesy of Emily Elwell

Kelly said, “It’s been a wild ride. Things have changed a lot and rapidly. What’s actually happening is we will have a limited live audience, selling tickets online only and in advance. Then, anyone who doesn’t get a live ticket will be able to purchase a key to watch it on a password-protected live performance.”

Junior Aidan Schafiuzzaman said, “We are going to be able to do the show with an in-person audience, which is really exciting. It’s the first good news we’ve gotten about the show since…sliced bread.” 

With the ability to produce a show that is broadcasted, anyone unable to attend an in-person event will now be able to purchase the online passcode to the meeting as a form of admission for the same price as an in-person ticket. However, there are obvious concerns about multiple people sharing one screen, or students sharing the password with those who did not pay.

Courtesy of Emily Elwell

Kelly said, “Unfortunately, I have no way to limit that or prevent it from happening. My hope is that people will respect the work of the kids and respect the work of the author and the stories that we’re telling enough to pay what it’s worth.”

Kelly stated that he appreciates any donations people can give, as the ticketing difficulties will decrease the revenue that would typically be brought in compared to years past.

Many thespians stated the audience inspires the cast on the stage, and the cast feeds the audience’s energy in front of them, therefore the switch to a limited audience and a broadcast is less favorable. 

Kelly said, “I’d always prefer a live audience. Theater is never as good on film as it is in person. There is a lot of interaction, both explicit and implicit when you’re performing in front of an audience. This is just not something that happens when you’re watching it remotely, so my hope is that we get back to a full audience as soon as it is safe to do so.”

Courtesy of Emily Elwell

Sophomore Ian Peter said, “I believe that if we push through together, we can make this work and it’s the best thing we have right now.”

Despite the changes to the theater’s production, the She Kills Monsters students positively anticipate two weekends of successful showings.