New Rule for Lunch Lines at CHS

Photo Courtesy Brian Bishop

Photo Courtesy Brian Bishop

Brian Bishop and Joy Young

Camas High School (CHS) started preventing students from getting multiple free lunches by implementing a new rule requiring student IDs in the lunch line, effective Nov 3, 2021. By scanning every student’s ID, CHS is able to track how many lunches each student takes. 

Photo Courtesy Brian Bishop

Since last year, a federal program supplied CHS with only enough money to give one breakfast and one lunch per student. However, many students take multiple lunches, leaving not enough for others. CHS is required to take action. 

Before Covid-19, finger-scanning was the primary method for identifying students. Principal Tom Morris said,  “[nowadays it’s] probably not a good idea: finger scanning one person after another. Another way they figured out they could do it is with the barcode on your student IDs.” It was decided that the safest and most effective way to keep track of who has been in the lunch line is to use student IDs.

After hearing about this new system for school lunch, many agreed that it would solve the problem of students getting multiple lunches.

Senior Kyle Kennedy said, “I didn’t get lunch the other day; they ran out.”

Other students face similar problems to Kennedy. 

Senior Luke Martinez said, “There is a problem of running out of food, and IDs will solve that problem.” About half of the students had high hopes for the effectiveness of IDs.

Photo Courtesy Brian Bishop

However, the other half were worried about the possible negative effects. Freshman Ryan Melton said, “It’s hard to get through the lines, and once you’re through, you only have 10 minutes to eat.” Students already struggle to get their food and have enough time to eat, so the introduction of ID checks leaves many anxious about the future. “The lines will be a lot longer and slower, so it would only probably give us about five minutes to eat,” Melton said.

After the implementation of student ID checks on Nov 3, most students are responding positively to this new system. Junior Maria Yunchyk said, “I like it a lot better, but it’s [the lines] still pretty annoying.” Others are confident that the re-establishment of three separate lunchtimes will solve the issue of long lines.

Junior Sam Tetro said, “I feel like the lines are long, but having three lunches again will solve the problem; IDs are good though.” The concerns of students prior to the requirement of IDs diminished shortly after it was put in place.

Although IDs are very effective in enforcing one lunch per student and allowing for everyone to have access to lunch, many are still dubious at its lasting impacts. Students spend a majority of their lunch waiting in line for their food and ID scanning may cause the waiting in line to be longer.