Camas Girls’ Swim Team Remains Undefeated

Photo Courtesy Jordan Harris

Jaimie Choi, Staff Writer

After the shortened swim season last year, the Camas High School girls’ swim team is back and better than ever. With their recent win in the home meet, the team continues to be undefeated, maintaining their spot as number one in the district.

“The team’s doing awesome,” said Scott Kohlmeier, co-head coach, “the willingness and ability of everyone to step up and face the challenges is really driving us forward.” 

The Kelso Invitational, one of the biggest meets of the season, was the first big test for the team. Camas was up against some of the best teams in the district, including Union and Mountain View. Even so, Camas ended up blowing away the competition, taking the first place spot by over 170 points. 

“That meet we had far exceeded my expectations. I did not expect that we were going to blow out everybody. I didn’t know how deep the team was,” said Kohlmeier.

Photo Courtesy Jordan Harris

One of the main reasons for the team’s success this year is simply the team spirit. 

Junior Campbell Deringer said, “I think our team is great. I think that we are just so passionate and driven this year, and we also just have so much fun together.”

“It’s just a lot of fun. Even if we’re really cold [in the morning], we’re still laughing and having fun,” said freshman Yuna Lee. 

The team aspect is really the driving force behind the Camas girls’ swim team. 

“It’s all about the mentality that you share as a team. If you share the attitude of ‘We’re here to do well, we’re here to have fun, and we’re here to drop time,’ it affects everyone individually,” said Avery Deringer, co-captain and senior. 

“We work together as a team. We’ve created an environment where everyone can learn and everyone can get better,” said captain Jordan Harris. 

Overall, both the swimmers and coaches are just grateful to have a season. Last year, the season was not only delayed, but also cut short. The District meet was practically a regular meet, and the state competition wasn’t even in the books. 

“This season is special. We didn’t have one last year and we didn’t know we were gonna have one this year. I think after last year everyone appreciates the fact that we actually have an organized team and season. It’s special for the swimmers and also for the coaches,” said coach Westley Mejias. 

With districts coming up in the next couple of weeks, the team is preparing for another victory. 

Kohlmeier said, “I think we have the inside track to win districts.”