2021 Billboard Music Awards Recap

Courtesy of NBC.

The Billboard Music Awards are one of the anticipated music award ceremonies of the year, along with the American Music Awards and the Grammys. Hosted by singer Nick Jonas, the 2021 Billboard Music Awards were broadcasted from Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles, California on May 23rd, and this year’s ceremony was memorable in many ways.

Nick Jonas had previously mentioned that the ceremony would be held in person, with 500-600 people in attendance, following all pandemic safety protocols. In the midst of the pandemic, this seems to be one of the biggest crowds for Hollywood awards show that didn’t restrict the audience to only certain people (e.g. healthcare workers, industry people).

Courtesy of Billboard.

With thousands of fans in attendance, DJ Khaled ft. H.E.R. and Migos kicked off the 2021 Billboard Music Awards on an outdoor stage in downtown Los Angeles on Sunday night. The high-energy performance was praised by the audience.

The Weeknd was the big winner at Sunday night’s Billboard Music Awards, bringing home a whopping 10 awards, including the Top Artist and Top Male Artist awards. He also won the first award handed out on the live telecast, for top Hot 100 artists. Later in the evening, The Weeknd performed “Save Your Tears” in a Los Angeles parking lot with choreographed moves by the drivers of several cars and 18-wheelers.

Courtesy of NBC.

BTS also had a great night at the BBMAs, performing their world premiere of the new single “Butter” remotely from South Korea. BTS, who was nominated for Top Duo/Group, Top Social Artist, Top Song Sales Artist, and Top Selling Song for “Dynamite” won all four awards at the top of the show.

During the live ceremony, Bad Bunny was crowned top Latin performer, and he spoke entirely in Spanish. He also took home three off-air honors, including top Latin male artist, top Latin single, and top Latin album, in which he set a milestone by becoming the first Latin artist to receive three nominations in the same category.

Gabby Barrett was named the top country female artist, and during her acceptance speech, she teared up as she expressed her gratitude for the honor.

The Artist of the Decade Award went to Drake, who has the most Billboard Music Award wins of all time. A group of his family and friends introduced him, and he appeared on stage with his 3-year-old son, Adonis Graham.

Courtesy of Scott Dudelson/Getty Images.

Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon, Pop Smoke’s posthumously released debut album, won the award for best Billboard 200 album. Audrey Jackson received the award on behalf of her son, who died of bullet wounds after four intruders burst into the house he was renting in February 2020 at the age of 20. All of them was just fifteen years old.

Machine Gun Kelly, who embraced girlfriend Megan Fox before taking the stage, was named a top rock artist. He acknowledged that his mixtape had been out for 15 years and that this was it was his first major stage that he’s been asked to receive an award on.”

Trae Tha Truth received the Change Maker Award from Tina Knowles-Lawson for his “unwavering contribution to advocating for, and delivering, social and medical justice in his society.”

Other notable musical performances included Alicia Keys, who performed a medley of her hits after being introduced by video to Michelle Obama.

The Jonas Brothers and Marshmello released a single together, “Leave Before You Love Me,” which they performed on the outdoor stage. They also did a medley of their most recent songs, such as “Sucker” and “Just Human.”

The 2021 Billboard Awards was an amazing night. There were many spectacular performances and awards that were accepted by different artists.