BHM Op-Ed: Amanda Gorman

courtesy of apnews.com

If you are not aware of the name Amanda Gorman by now, you will be soon. Gorman is a 22-year-old up-and-coming political activist and poet that performed at President Joe Biden’s inauguration this last January and at Super Bowl LV earlier this month. On top of those two outstanding achievements, she has performed her poetry in front of crowds of thousands. Gorman has influenced many discussing topics such as oppression, feminism, race, and marginalization. 

Gorman was born in Los Angeles, California. She is an award-winning writer and cum laude graduate of Harvard University, where she studied Sociology. Gorman’s outstanding work, productivity, and dedication have paid off.  She has received invitations to the White House from former President Barack Obama and has been invited to perform in front of Broadway sensation Lin Manuel Miranda. In addition, she has a book contract with Penguin Random House book company. 

Gorman’s outstanding poetry reading at the presidential inauguration on January 20th, 2021 has spoken to many Camas High School students and has moved the community in a creative and powerful way.

Courtesy of The New York Times.

In the poem, Gorman speaks on many important issues from this past year, including the COVID-19 pandemic, racial injustice, destruction, and democracy. CHS students are touched and empowered by Gorman’s motivational words and have had a lot to say about her performance. 

Hannah Ferdows, a junior at CHS, said, “Her tone, it’s vigorous yet soft… it inspires me to take in each word spoken and appreciate the thought and effort put in behind each one and to then do such on my own.”

CHS Senior and member of the Student Voice Club, Vivienne Funches, said, “What inspires me about this poem is that a young black woman has the opportunity to be up on stage and speak from her heart. It is so empowering and I can’t wait to hear more beautiful words from her.” 

Even past CHS students were inspired by Gorman’s words.

Jackson Gibbs, a 2020 graduate, said, “I loved how well she connected bravery and unity to move forward! That only together and fierce can we make progress to a better nation.” 

It is safe to say that Gorman will definitely have a lot more appearances as 2021 goes on. She has inspired so many and her powerful voice is impacting young adults around the United States.

To watch Amanda Gormans Inauguration poem go to https://youtu.be/Jp9pyMqnBzk