Boy’s Golf Update

Courtesy. Hanson Givens

The Camas High School boy’s golf team finished the season by winning the league championship against some other great local teams, such as the Skyview Storm and the Battle Ground Tigers. With this, there were various players on Camas’s roster who were recognized for the great play throughout the season and were acknowledged with all-league awards.

Courtesy. Camas school district

The team showed great work ethic and grit, to get to the top of a very competitive Greater St. Helens League. Players gave insight on what the group did to become league champions.

CHS Sophomore Owen Huntington said, “I’m usually out here by 10 a.m., and then I’m here all day,” 

He added, “I’ll come out and work on putting, my chipping. I might go over to the range and work on things there. And then the rest of the time is just spent playing golf.”

Huntington also elaborated on that when he is not studying for school, he is at Royal Oaks golf club getting extra hits in preparation for a match.

CHS Sophomore Cameron Miller said, “If I have time to get some extra practice in at the driving range or on the green, I will definitely take advantage of the opportunity.”

CHS Sophomore Caleb Shira said, “I love to golf, so anytime I can get a chance to play, I will take full advantage of it.”

CHS Varsity Golf Head Coach Ed Givens said, “Everybody was just on the same page throughout the season.”

The Camas Meadows golf course means everything to the CHS boy’s golf team, so when there are rumors of the course changing the look up a bit the effects can be major on the team.

Camas Meadows attendant Lani Harrington said, “The rumors are false; Camas Meadows just likes to update their bar and grill a ton, but there is nothing golf-related to worry about.”

On another positive note, some individuals on the team were recognized for their work ethic and great play through different all-league awards won. Huntington won the player of the year award, junior Derek Harker made 1st team honors, and Shira, Miller, and James Hu made 2nd team honors.

Shira said, “I am very happy I won this award. All the hard work I put in paid off, and I hope it is just the first of many to come.”

Huntington said, “I just felt really honored; there are so many good players out there, and the fact that I won it was crazy.”

Harrington elaborated on how he always sees Huntington working on his game.

He said, ”I see Owen out there all time; him winning this does not really shock me at all.”

Next up, The boys have bi-districts in May, CHS players and coaches shared how to plan for it and what excites them for the tournament.

Miller said, “I am really just trying to get out there as much as I can in between now and then.” 

Givens said, “I am very excited for what the future brings in bi-districts, I believe we will come out with a successful record to complement the hard work of our guys.”

So, if students or staff ever need something to help stay occupied and looking for something to do in the month of May, go out and check out the CHS boy’s golf team as the team starts to practice to head up for bi-district. If any students or staff end up attending just remember the countless hours put in from these student-athletes.